rusty soft spot on tub side

I am in the process of redoing my guest bath, and just removed the shower doors and track. It all removed easily, but I've found a spot, about the size of a nickel, of rust. This is on the flat top portion, the area where you might sit to shave legs, or hang a bath mat over to dry. The spot was completely covered by the lower track before, and while scraping the caulk and adhesive away, I scraped away the caulk that had obviously been used to cover/fill this spot. It doesn't really feel soft, but is very uneven, clearly not just a stain. The tub is metal, maybe enamel over? which surprised and stumped my dad whom I'd asked for advice. Any ideas on what I can do to hide this ugly spot and prevent more damage. The tub also has a similar size ding in the bottom, and isn't worth refinishing, I'd replace it with a deeper tub before going to that expense. Just looking for a quick fix here. Thanks!
--
Melissa
remove your shoes to reply by email
Melissa wrote:

My only suggestion is buy some of those packages of stick on flowers intended to go on the bottom of the tub to help prevent slips. Put one on the bad spot and place the others artistically around and on the bottom of the tub.
Good Luck
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Remove rust by sanding and perhaps a small 1/2 wire wheel on a drill with bit extender, 4" -6" extender. Prime with rustoleum or another oil metal primer and touch up with epoxy paint.
Auto stores typically carry several brands of rust converters, a chemical that converts rust to a stable material that doesn't rust any longer. This can be painted. Doesn't take much, works quite well.
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:15:54 GMT, "Melissa"