Rusty Sink Fixture

About 5 yrs ago, I replaced my bathroom sink fixtures with a Moen brand. Currently there is an unsightly rusty buildup around the sink drain/plug hole. What would cause this? Also, how do I get rid of it?
Thanks.

water and oxygen

steel wool

don't mention it

Most tap water contains dissolved minerals (e.g. calcium and iron) that precipitate on water fixtures e.g. faucets. CLR and other chemicals can redissolve them
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

If it is a steel sink, then it might be time to replace it before it rusts all the way through.