rusty automatic ice maker in fridge

We have a frigidaire with an icemaker in the door. A metal plate in it rusted and the ice is now getting rust in it as well. We have a service plan for the fridge, but when the guy came out he tried to tell us it was COSMETIC!!! He finally agreed to replace it though he kept insisting a little iron wouldn't hurt anyone (note that of course the fridge filters the water too, so that sort of defeats the purpose). Obviously the new one will eventually rust as well so I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion of what we might be able to coat the metal part with to prevent it. Silicone perhaps?
I would hope that frigidaire discovered the defect and the new one will not rust.

heh, i've hoped that about many design flaws, but in my experience, the manufacturer moves on to some new product and fixes it in the next generation. at least that's what we did when i worked in laptop design and mfg.

But computer generations only last 6 months. The ice maker is probably the same one they used for years. Besides, do you want silicone in your ice. Anything you do may actually ruin the factory finish any way.

Hi,

Model#?
Ice maker in the door?...or dispensor through the door?

Probably on the dispensor bucket? The curly cue bar or flat piece near the front of the bucket. Have seen some of the manufactures are now covering the curly cue bar in the dispensor bucket with a plastic coating/covering.
It's a through the door water/ice dispenser with the bucket inside. The bucket when you look inside it has the metal screw which where it meets with the front of the removable box abuts a metal plate which is sort of riveted and bent around the plastic container. That piece (the flat piece in the front inside of the bucked) rusted (waiting for wife to email me a pic, she's writing to Frigidaire and enclosing the picture). I'll post the model # tonight when I'm home. Hopefully you guys are right and they've fixed the issue, I'm just surprised (I suppose I shouldn't be) that my wife was given such a hard time over this 'merely cosmetic' issue. Normally I don't like these yearly additional warranties, but we're getting our money's worth with this water dispenser/ice maker. I think we pay $80 a year and pretty much every year they're at the house replacing $200+ worth of parts.

In five years you could have paid for a new base model fridge. You are the exception getting hte payback.
wrote in message

True if we had a base model fridge, but this is a $1400 fridge. Like I said, those things are typically a rip off and I avoid them at all costs. In this ONE instance it happens to have worked out.
The wife just emailed me the pic as I was typing this
http://www.nema.com/junk/rust.jpg
RobR wrote:

Nice pic!! :)
Typical, have seen a few do this on many makes :(
-Likely- the new one will have some kind of a coating on it.

Just as a quick followup to this old thread, we did finally get the replacement and it was identical to the old one. No coating. Guess we'll be doing this again in a few years, what a silly design.

Nasty looking and has no place in a fridge. Could be defective plating on a steel part.
replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Sourpuss wrote: Old post but putting in my two cents. Our fridge is a 2014-15 model and the ice bucket does the same thing. We replaced the pieces and 2 months later more rust. Apparently 10 years didn't make them change a darn thing!!!!
replying to Sourpuss, Vick6740 wrote: I stress out about this but now I just rinse the ice every time I use it. Ugh.