Rustoleum Basement Epoxy Shield preparation

I've decided to coat the basement floor after 2 years in this new house. I did the moisture test and the floor is very dry. Need tips on preparation. I guess the fist step is to go at with the wed/dry vac to remove the dust. Then what's next? I've heard the some people say you should etch the floor before applying the epoxy... is it necessary and how do you do it? Then do you just paint according to the manufacturers instructions? Is rustoleum a good brand? Any advice I'd appreciate. Thanks!!!

Reply to
thecartwheel

here's the mfr's info

I have never used the particular Rustoleum product you are considering.

I have used Rustoleum 9100 Series DTM Industrial Mastic for concrete floors with great success.

You can search this group for more info but here is a link to a post I made about the product I have used.

Links to prep & tech info as well.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

The instructions tell you how to prep the floor.

I put the Rustoleum product on my garage floor. The mfg instructions on the coverage is total BS. I tried to stretch the content on a surface even less than they say, and it went on too thin. The too thin areas pulled up after a couple of years. The thicker areas are fine.

Note that this stuff is VERY slippery when wet if you don't use the traction chips.

Reply to
Larry Bud

the best concrete floor is a bare concrete floor, coating with anything just creates future work, all coatings fail sooner or later..........

Reply to
hallerb

How do you seal it so it keeps the dust down then?

Reply to
timnels

try a heavy coat of thompsons water seal, but a good concrete job shouldnt be dusty.

Reply to
hallerb

it shouldnt be dusty, could coat with thompsons water seal

Reply to
hallerb

The benefit is that any oil spills/drips wipe up in a second and don't stain anything.

Reply to
Larry Bud