Rustoleum Basement Epoxy Shield preparation

I've decided to coat the basement floor after 2 years in this new house. I did the moisture test and the floor is very dry. Need tips on preparation. I guess the fist step is to go at with the wed/dry vac to remove the dust. Then what's next? I've heard the some people say you should etch the floor before applying the epoxy... is it necessary and how do you do it? Then do you just paint according to the manufacturers instructions? Is rustoleum a good brand? Any advice I'd appreciate. Thanks!!!
On Oct 28, 10:42 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

here's the mfr's info
http://www.rustoleum.com/documents/techdocs/epoxygarage.pdf
I have never used the particular Rustoleum product you are considering.
I have used Rustoleum 9100 Series DTM Industrial Mastic for concrete floors with great success.
You can search this group for more info but here is a link to a post I made about the product I have used.
Links to prep & tech info as well.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/bced2b271b7b4b6b/1cb5e09d23650c1c?lnk=gst&q=rustoleum+DTM#1cb5e09d23650c1c
cheers Bob
On Oct 28, 2:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The instructions tell you how to prep the floor.
I put the Rustoleum product on my garage floor. The mfg instructions on the coverage is total BS. I tried to stretch the content on a surface even less than they say, and it went on too thin. The too thin areas pulled up after a couple of years. The thicker areas are fine.
Note that this stuff is VERY slippery when wet if you don't use the traction chips.
the best concrete floor is a bare concrete floor, coating with anything just creates future work, all coatings fail sooner or later..........

How do you seal it so it keeps the dust down then?
On Oct 29, 6:11?pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

try a heavy coat of thompsons water seal, but a good concrete job shouldnt be dusty.
On Oct 29, 6:11?pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

it shouldnt be dusty, could coat with thompsons water seal

The benefit is that any oil spills/drips wipe up in a second and don't stain anything.