Rusting air handler coils

Page 3 of 3
On 9/28/2014 8:40 AM, TimR wrote:

1) use temperature and pressure to get it exactly right; 2) weigh the charge and put in the manufacturer's recommendation; 3) add charge until it feels about the same temperature as a cold beer can. You'd be surprised how often 3) is used.

"need more freezon, Bubba!!"

YES IT DOES!!! Just not as readily as plain iron, though.
I have to continually wipe a sheen of red/brown off all our SS kitchen appliances!
We're talking high end crap, too.

OK, it may get some light surface rust, depending on the alloy, but it doesn't get the scaley, deep rust.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

or cooling.

Once you have a new system in place, you should be good for 20 to 30 years or so with normal wear.
I'm still a proponent of owning a home. If you plan you will have the house paid off long before retiring. Taxes, insurance, utilities will still go on, but they should be much lower than paying rent or a mortgage. In 15 or 20 years, you have a lot of equity rather than a box full of rent receipts.
Partly retired, I'm paying $300 a month (plus utilities) to live in a 2000 sq.ft. house on 1/3 acre of land. Rent in a crappy apartment is at least 4X that.
Always some bumps in the road but the guys here can help smooth them out.
On 9/27/2014 12:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

in 2000 when I bought my house!) and for a shorter term. I went first for a lower rate, then down to 15 years, and the last time down to 10 years because the rates went so low.

Logically, owning is better than renting. When it comes down to the never ending maintenance and replacements, it just makes me think about the color of the grass on the other side.
--
Cheryl
On Saturday, September 27, 2014 12:54:26 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

IDK about that. You used to get that kind of life, but from so many reports I'm hearing now, based on what a lot of people here have said, it sounds like the typical life of a gas furnace, AC system, etc today is more like 15 years.