rusted toilet bolts

Page 2 of 2
On 5/21/2016 9:48 PM, Micky wrote:
The bolts on our toilet were brass and I hacksawed them off. The problem was the flange on the waste pipe rusted away to nothing after 28 years. A metal flange on a 3 inch black plastic waste pipe. Home Depot had a replacement w piece flange that was a good solution for my situation.
Steve

That's good. I haven't faced that problem yet, and I don't know how I would get a hacksaw on the toilet seat bolts. On the bottom the toilet is in the way and on the top, it woudl be hard to avoid scratching. Amazon had tools for taking off plastic toilets for 6 and 10 dollars respectively, but I think I can just put needle-nose vice grips on the plastic and get it.
BTW, Bemis has a new style, at least on their expensive seats, the ones that pop off for easy cleaning. The top part is plastic and is meant to be take the place of the top rubber gasket. There are little wings to keep the screw centered in the hole. The bottom part has a built in softer washer, and the nut is surrounded by plastic that is about 2 inches high. The end is meant to be tightened with maybe a 1/2" end or socket wrench until it snaps off, and that is meant to happen at the proper tightness. After part snaps off there is still 1 1/2" of the same dimensions, to be used to remove the bolt later.
Frankly, after I easily snapped the bolt heads into the seat, I couldn't get them out, but I'm sure when they are attached to the toilet and I'm using the seat as a lever, everything will come apart as intended, for easy washing of the whole seat, minus little stubby things that can be cleaned without the seat being in the way.