Rusted iron railings

One of my window's iron railings are painted black from years ago, and now some of the paint is peeling off and some spots are rusted. Should I sand off or peel off the paint before re-painting over it?

Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Rick

Wrought iron is always a PITA and keeping it nice is like shoveling crap against the tide. I've had the best results over the years using a wire brush or wire wheel in a drill to remove as much rust as possible, followed by a coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer followed by a top coat of Rustoleum gloss in the color of choice. Be sure to wear eye protection when cleaning up the rust. Those little bits of rusty crap really fly around.

Reply to
NickySantoro

You want to get all loose material off prior to painting. Wire brush is probably the easiest for you. You don't have to remove all of the rust, just the loose stuff and peeling paint. Use a rust converter primer, then follow it with Rustoleum (or equal) paint in the color of your choice.

RicodJour

Remove all the rust and paint. Then prime and paint.

Reply to
scott21230

One thing I learned about wrought iron is that most of it is crap. I had rusty railings and a metal guy told me why..... it was hollow and spot welded and rusting from the inside out. He said it was builder grade garbage. I had it replaced a few years ago with solid continuously welded railing painted with rustoleum and so far still looks brand new.

Reply to
Art