Rust-Oleum rust reformer

I bought two bottles of this stuff to convert the rust on our swing set. It comes in a dumbbell shaped bottle, no doubt to memorialize some executives at Rust-Oleum. I followed the instructions to the letter, shaking it extensively, then started to apply it. It has a squirt top and I only got about two ounces out of the 8 ounce bottle, but I could feel that there was still something in there. I ripped off the lid and found about six ounces of putty-consistency material. On the label it says they stand behind their products and we should contact their customer service department if we are dissatisfied with any. They don't give a phone number or address (surprise!). I tracked them down on the internet and emailed them, a month ago, and they have not answered. I guess I didn't realize how far behind their products they stand.

Today I opened the second bottle, and it was in the same unusable state. There is no way to tell whether you have a good bottle or bad bottle without breaking off the top.

I went to our sole surviving hardware store and got a bottle of Permatex rust treatment, and had no problems with it. You don't even need to use the whole bottle, because the Permatex has a removable lid.

Is the Rust-Oleum line of spray paints a low or high quality line? The stores here seem to carry a lot of it, but I'm somewhat soured on them after my experience. Who does make quality spray paint?

Reply to
William Brown

Rustoleum paint is good, people rarely use that rust reform product so its probably been on the shelf to long

Reply to
m Ransley

-snip-

Hope you didn't hurt yourself finding

.

I wouldn't hold my breath on an email, though. It seems to me that the older & more reliable the company, the less likely they are to have someone answering emails. [I had one get answered after 6 months, though. By then the product had long since been replaced.]

I'll bet that if you use the 800 number instead [800-553-8444] you'll have a couple coupons for fresh product within a week. [or insist on factory-fresh product instead of coupons. Might take longer-- or insistence on speaking to a manager, but I'm sure it can be done.]

Check the numbers stamped on the container & don't buy anymore from that lot. Chances are good that the store just had some old stock. Maybe there is fresh stuff on the shelf-- maybe not.

I've had good luck with both products.

Rustoleum is good. You got some bad cans. Stuff happens to everyone at some point.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If you want top of the line Paint ...go to

and look at thier product line. They dont have aerosol though. But, there POR15 rust paint is second to none; the classic car hobbie im in uses it very extensively on frames and undercarriage. Get their catalogue at no charge. Ive used most of thier products over the last couple of years...and every product is first class.

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

Here is Dave pushing por 15 again , well at their prices dave he can do alot better by going with Rustoleum and Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. A proven product that wont break the bank. Or for other Proven products that are industrial , Proven and dont involve mail order would be any top line large companys indstrial line, at your local paint store. A better selection to.

Reply to
m Ransley