rust in the hot water

Hello,
We have rust in our hot water (the water as a rusty tint to it and make rust marks in the bath tube). I noticed that my electric hot water tank is also leaking a little bit which is not really a problem because it's located in a separate room along with our sump pump.
I would like to wait a couple of months before replacing my hot water tank but I'm wondering if there are any possible complications if I wait too long? Like rust building up in my copper pipes or in my faucets?
Thanks,
Jean-Claude
<< I would like to wait a couple of months before replacing my hot water tank

Bad idea. Besides the stains in your tub,the debris screens in your washer will get plugged up and so will faucet screens. The more rust settles in your system, the more aggravating if will be to get it out. If you have a major leak while you're at work or away from home the water bill can take a big jump and there may well be collateral damage in the room regardless of the sump pump. Water heaters aren't that pricey, don't wait.
Jioe
Thanks, I will replace it ASAP.

tank
system,
while
there
Water
If the tank is starting to leak, replace it now. You can replace the tank yourself or pay about $150 (maybe less) to have it installed.