Rust in Plastic/Fiberglass Tub?

I have a new tub and we are starting to notice small specks of what looks like rust. Brillo cannot get it off nor any other cleaners we have tried. How is it possible that we have rust in our plastic tub? How do you remove it?
if they are really rust specs, it would likely be contaminants within the fiberglass/plastic itself and a manufacturing defect.
bill

I suspect it's not from the tub, it's from your pipes and water.

HotRod wrote:

Is there a water test we can try?
Brian wrote:

And ... do NOT use Brillo on plastic. It'll scratch it something terrible.
So all manner of things will stick, and not be readily removed.
Brian wrote:

You have iron pipes and they're starting to rust. Only real fix is to replace them with copper or CPVC, depending on whether you can sweat them without setting the house on fire.

If it is city water, chances are the rust is coming from the main lines and it can be miles away. Replacing the house pipes will not make any difference. Get a rust-sediment filter. Alternate is to replace the lines in the town. Budget $1million a year for a good replacement program.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, I am on city water. Does the rust-sediment filter fit on the shower nozzle or is it in-line?

I put mine on the main line so it gets the crap out of everything. My house is fine, but the water gets to me in 100 year old pipes, thus the rust.
You need to tell us more about your setup..
1) What type of pipes are in the house? 2) What type of water are you on?
If you want to test the water take a white plastic bucket and pout some water in it and let it site for a few days, did it dis-colour the bucket?
HotRod wrote:

I am assuming metal. I just purchased the house a month or so ago. It is about 24 years old. I am on city water. I will try your experiment and see what I get.