rust in hot water

have fired up the hot water heater in the apt. that was turned off for 3-4 months but neglected to drain it. i'm getting rust in the water - is the boiler on the way out or is this a result of the water sitting in the tank?
I just ran water from a sink faucet that hadn't been used in months, the water ran rusty for a about 2 gallons or so. I have ~50 year old galv steel pipes.
either drain the tank now or just use up the rusty water as needed.
if the rust goes away you're probably fine.
cheers Bob
If you have galvanised pipes it is normal, either way dont worry