Rural mailbox question

Page 2 of 2
If the bobber is up, the door is open. This does not necessarily tell you if there is mail inside.
When the door closes again, are you saying that the weight of the washer is enough to hold the bobber high on the back, allowing the cord between the washer and the door to curl up?? If the washer is heavy enough, and the bobber light enough, yes. I might go for a 3/8 nut rater than the washer just to be sure.
Then when you walk out to get the mail, you pull the bobber back down into place.
RLM wrote:

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:29:25 +0000, Robert Gammon wrote:

If the bobber is up the door *has been opened*. Only the mailman opens my box. Then only to deposit or pick up mail. Never had any problems with local kids getting in our mailbox here.

That's correct.

The 3/8" washer and the friction of the cord exiting the hole was always enough to hold the bobber in place for me. I used a 1-1/4" plastic bobber that is easily visible from the house. I see no problem with the extra weight of a 3/8 nut or more weight if you choose to use a really large bobber. You may have a greater distance that you have to view it from. The weight just slides on the bottom of the mailbox so it doesn't offer that much friction when opening the door of the box.

That's correct. Close the box after removing the mail and pull the bobber down in back. It is then ready for the next time the mailman opens the box to deliver the mail.
With the door wide open, and the *weight lying* on the bottom of the box. The bobber should be attached near the point on the cord where it exits the rear of the box.
This way when the door is closed the bobber can be pulled down.
<Snipped>
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 09:26:01 -0400, RLM wrote:

The two sentences above are wrong, I thought about this after I sent this. With the door wide open, pull on the cord at the rear of the box enough to raise the weight off the bottom of the box. Then attach the bobber near the point that the cord exits the box.

string to the ball. When the ball is down, your box has been disturbed.
Ivan Vegvary
Its hard to imagine that a bureaucracy like the USPS doesn't have a whole book of rules concerning this.
"Rural" mailboxes in front of individual homes (or clustered somewhere on a block of individual homes, as I have seen in California) is a relatively recent development. Before the suburbs sprouted, farmers would have a cluster of mailboxes at intersections, so your own box might be miles from your home. At that time, the postman would raise the red flag when he put mail in your box, so you could see you had mail from your tractor or truck, and make the trek to get it. I don't recall any device to show that there was mail to be picked up by the postman, but he didn't really need one as he would stop by the cluster of boxes to make his deliveries. Of course, at that time there was not the flood of advertisements mailed that there is today.
Perhaps the growth of suburbs and advertising mailings has changed this, but certainly the post office has a set of rules covering this; I know they had some regarding the size of mail boxes a few years ago.
Kurt Gavin wrote:

Here's a gadget that would work -- mailbox chime: <http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product.asp?product '6342zz&dept%5Fid300&subdept%5Fid330>
snipped-for-privacy@ignore.com says...

At a previous employer, our mailbox was a quarter mile from the office. We had a device with a tilt switch and a radio transmitter that detected when the door was opened, rining a bell in the front office. Don't know where he got it, other than it was from a mail-order catalog.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

The radio notification devices may not work for everyone. Reception problems due to weak signals can occur if the distance is too great. The transmitters require batteries and may experience problems during temperature extremes.
Beachcomber
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 15:58:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.none (Beachcomber) wrote:

My (rural type) mailbox is just about 30 feet from the house, with nothing but air in between. However, none of those RF devices I've ever tried would work reliably. If there's any interference, the most likely source seems to be the box itself (heavy steel).

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

welding rod and a piece of aluminum painted a bright color. Twist one end into a small loop and add a coil or three above it. Attach the "flag" to the other end with about an inch protuding from the end. bend a small (30 degrees)angle in the end and attach to a small tab cut and folded up in the lip of the front door that has a hole drilled into it. With a little "fiddiling" and adjusting, you can make a cheap one. When you get the mail, you reset the flag by closing the door and inserting the end of the wire in the hole of the tab. When the mailman opens the door, the flag pops up.

trouble walking and 300 or so feet is, or rather sometimes is, rather painful ...
So I just wait to check my mail until 4 PM Not much of a problem !
Bob G.