Rural mailbox

He's not goiung to like that, having to stop to pick up mail only to find there is none.

And that will be the result .
On 1/22/2016 7:51 AM, KenK wrote:

Seems like that would be extra work for the carrier. Undoubtedly it would lead to a grievance and, perhaps, overtime or a salary bump for those additional duties<g>

deliver any. He put the flag up if he delivered mail but did not pick any up. He left the flag up if he picked up and delivered mail. The flag just meant "I need attention"
From what I remember anyway - but it's been over 45 years.

I remember the " rotate the mailbox " signal - same as the flag - - mailbox facing the road means - something is here - - mailbox facing parallel to the road means - I'm empty ... I always understood that the flag meant the same thing - used by the homeowner and by the mail-man. This was for my area in southern Ontario Canada. John t.
--- ---
On 1/22/2016 8:51 AM, KenK wrote:

Can do both ways. Flag up can mean both mail going out (when the carrier arrives) and mail in the box (after the carrier has passed by).
I was in a small town diner one time. The waitress would put a slip on the round thing with the clips and proclaim "order up!" and the chef would put a plate of food on the heated transfer shelf and reply "order up!". Really was irritating. Which is it? Can't be both.
--
.
Christopher A. Young