Rural mailbox

Page 3 of 4
On 1/24/2016 8:27 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Shouldn't be a problem. Every "community" mailbox I've seen in subdivisions are placed on the right of way. Check the survey for your own home. Chances are you'll find the highway easement extends another 6'-8' into what you think is your yard.

In the town where our daughter moved to a couple of years ago, the neighbors warned them about the USPS trying to get them to install a rural type mailbox on a post in front of their home rather than continuing to use the box on the house.
Note that they live in town and the home they purchased originally had one of those mail chutes that would drop your mail (and water from a garden house<g>) in the foyer.
Sure enough, they got a note from the Postmaster pretty much telling them they HAD to install the curbside mailbox but down at the bottom in fine print was a notation that such would be voluntary since their mailbox was grandfathered in.
Small town but certain area residents have taken a stand and refuse to go with the program. USPS wants to be able to do away with the walking letter carrier.
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 08:43:11 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

Well this might be good for me. Because we own our own streets, not the government. We also have to pay for them to be repaved. (We might be able to give them to the county if we ever pave them to be thick enough, but I'm not sure if only the blacktop has to be thick, or if an underlayer has to be also. We're not redoing what's underneath the blacktop.
Sure, when you're feeling well, when you're up and around anyhow, and it's not raining or cold, it's little trouble to get tthe mail at a center box, but when your sick, when your snowed in, or the weather stinks, it's a pain, and for me and my mail slot, when I'm out of town for 3 days or 2 months, I don't have to cancel the mail or do anything

That would be good.

OT, btw, there are rural mailboxes here on a street that's been widened more than once, and the openings no longer face the street. They had to turn them 90^ so cars woudn't hit them as they drove by. Now they don't extend past the curb at all.
[snip]

Here, the water main runs down this side of the street. The gas main is on the other side. Would that be a problem, or could they put it over one of them?
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 1/24/2016 2:38 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Not positive but I don't believe it would be a problem. The "community boxes I've seen are mounted to a concrete slab and I believe those may be prefabricated. So they'd remove a couple of inches of sod and be done with it.
YMMV

The counties in my area of Nebraska own a 66 foot (one chain) wide strip for the road. Space for the boxes would be between the counties and the postal service. A quarter section is usually close to 2600' by 2600' give or take as a result.

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 9:27:56 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

the cost to deliver to a group box is a fraction of at to a walking or driving carrier..
so paying for a location for the group box isnt a big deal.
i think the elderly or handicapped should still be accomodated
Per bob haller:

But if I want a PO box at the local USPS office, I have to pay for it - right?
If that is the case, one would think that they are missing a bet by not providing free PO boxes...
--
Pete Cresswell

On a side street a short drive from my house all of the curb-mounted mailboxes are on only one side of that street(the side with odd address #s if memory serves.
The side they are on allows the postal jeep driver to deliver the mail there in a direction that returns them, after a right turn at the stop sign at the end of that street, back toward their post office.
The only inconvenience is that even #d residents must cross a sometimes wet or snowy street to access their box.
HOA(Home Owners) in play here?
On 01/25/2016 09:33 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

We live in a subdivision with no HOA, but the mail-box arrangement is the same: all the boxes on one side of the street -- on our street the odd-number side, but I can't swear that it's the same on other streets in the same subdivision.
Twenty or more years ago we visited family in a much newer subdivision, and they had mail-box clusters.
I am familiar with two adjacent small office complexes with just one mail-box cluster serving both of them -- and when there is mail in the wrong box there is no way of putting it in the correct box because there are no mail slots.
Perce

Nothing to do with HOA. That is the way the post office works. Take notice if you are driving along a motor route, the boxes are all on one side. Make s sense as to deliver to each house the route would be twice the distance and twice the time.
On 01/22/2016 08:19 PM, bob haller wrote:
[snip]

Some days, when I get mail a majority of it goes straight to the trash.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 1/22/2016 8:57 PM, bob haller wrote:

Cutting delivery days is OK by me. Cluster boxes can be a PITA though, but down from me they do have five to 10 together already.
Seems like Amazon is using the Postal service more and more, even for Sunday delivery for Prime.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

Anybody know what the procedure is when the box will not hold all the mail ? I'm thinking packages and junk mail around Xmas.
--
Pete Cresswell

My carrier leaves the packages on the porch. I don't know about the junk mail. My mailbox has plenty of room for that.

On 1/23/2016 7:00 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That's what our carrier does as well, but I think Ed was referring to one of those "community/central" mailboxes shared by a dozen or so families.
The one's I've seen have a couple of large (as it 2 - 4 x's the size of the individual boxes) package bins on them. When the carrier has a package that won't fit in the individual mailbox, the place it in one of the bins and place the key for the bin in the mailbox.
This is similar to what they do in the post office itself when an item arrives that won't fit in the smaller PO Box.
What they do for the occasional item too big to fit in the package bin is anyone's guess. I suppose they could fall back to the common sense approach and stop by the individual house, but that would make sense and we ARE dealing with a government created agency and a union so...
On 01/22/2016 09:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

A lot of what I get is sent by some other carrier like UPS to the post office. Their tracking info will send be a message saying the package was delivered. What the message DOESN'T say is that it was delivered to the post office and will be in the mail (not the same day, but the next).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 1/23/2016 8:55 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Do you have a free MYUPS account? App on the phone? Very accurate and you know where the package is and you can tell them where you want packages left. If is is sent Smartpost you will know and an accurate delivery time to the house.

I havent' noticed that.

I may have registered for something, I can't remember, but for the first time this time, UPS sent me an email saying the package is comign tomorrow, and tomorrow, when I was upstairs, they sent me an email saying it was delivered.
That's great. What's not great is that the second email said he put it on the patio (where it couldnt' be seen from the street) but in fact it was right in front of the front door, where it could be seen by someone who walked by. No one has ever stolen any package** but I want to keep it that way. And since the big tree fell down blocking the path across the shallow part of the stream, almost no kids walk by where they can see my front door. But almost every package to me has "Hide from view" or "Hide to right of big square thing", which only requires putting it 3 feet to the right, but almost no one ever does that.
**No package has been stolen but once two gas push lawnmowers were stolen. I'd tried all summer to make even one of them work, stealing parts from one for the other. So I thank whoever took them away for me. Also an old bicycle was stolen. I had removed the seat and the post to get a longer post, but real bike stores didnt' sell posts in that diameter, because the bike was so cheap. They'll never find a post that fits either, so they're stuck with that too.

That will be terrible for me. I have a slot in the door. I can go away for 9 months and still be able to push the door open when I get back.

On 1/22/16 5:11 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

That's about par for a unionized semi-government employee.
--
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer
to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.