Rural mailbox

Page 1 of 4
It would be nice to have something to use with my rural mailbox to tell if the mail has come when I don't have any outgoing. I oten forget to check by that late in the afternoon - busy with other things like making my supper. My delivery time varies, I suspect because different deliverers. Currently it's late in the afternoon, sometimes after 4 PM.
I'e not tried Googling yet.
TIA
On 1/21/2016 11:43 AM, KenK wrote:

Depends on the style of mailbox. If you have the "traditional" rural box with the rounded top, there used to be an outfit that made a pop up flag (yellow panel parallel to the roadway for high visibility at the house) that attached to the top. The trigger was just an extension that slipped beneath the mailbox door when YOU closed it (armed it<g>) which would allow the flag to pop up when the carrier opened the door to deposit your mail.
Should be easy enough if you're at all handy to make up something along that line. Alternatively, maybe a yellow tennis ball on a nylon cord rigged to fall out when the door is opened (hint: forewarn the carrier so he/she doesn't get upset) and would hang there in plain site when the mail was delivered.
Lastly, I think I've seen radio alert units that do the same thing sending a signal to a receiver in the house.
Per Unquestionably Confused:

My #2 daughter gave us one of those a couple years ago.
Our (steel) mailbox is about 100' from the house and I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard of: "Dinky little radio inside a steel box, AAA batteries... give me a break!"
Works like a charm and the batteries last at least 3 months - maybe six... I haven't been keeping that close of a track.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

That being said, I still like the spring-loaded pop-up flag idea better.
No batteries, no questions.... just works.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 1/22/2016 8:21 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Until it gets wet and freezes?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Has anybody got experience with the mechanical approach?
In my little fantasy world, I would think that a strong-enough spring and, maybe, polyethylene moving parts would be pretty much freeze-proof...
I visualize a wand that gets bent over and is secured by a trigger-like latch that gets released when the box is opened.
i.e. No moving parts save the latch - and that has to release if/when the box gets opened.
But that's just my little fantasy world and the Real World does not always get the word...
--
Pete Cresswell

You really don't need to reinvent the wheel...
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)53475777&sr=8-6&keywords=mailbox+flag>
On 1/22/2016 8:58 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Works fine if you run 14/2 UF burrial cable to the mail box, and put on about 500 watt heater.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You just want burial cable because you're afraid you'll be cold in your coffin.
On 1/21/2016 12:43 PM, KenK wrote:

had a gadget in article. It was a swing arm. When the letter carrier opened the door, the swing arm showed over the top of the mail box. My first thought was the first snow or freezing rain, and it would not pivot. I can remember it well enough to draw it on paper, if you want.
This isn't it: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
but might do your required task.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

carrier would pop up when he put mail in the box.
On 1/21/2016 9:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We use that flag to let the carrier know we have mail to be picked up.

There's something about which way the box is turned too - Long time since I had to deal with a rural mail box. facing the road=full, parallel to the road+ empty?

Not in my part of the U.S. The boxes are solidly mounted with the door facing the road. It's red flag up to alert the mail carrier to stop. The carriers keep moving it they have no mail to drop off and the flag isn't up.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The side flag is for pickup. I've seen some box designs tht also have a small flag on top that pops up when the door is opened.
I saw a setup once where the box & post swayed back and forth whe mail was put in it. The swaying could be stopped when the owner retrieved their mail. I once drove down a street it must have been just after delivery because half the boxes there were swaying. I thought it was what I had for lunch until a proud homeowner saw me stopped, and came out to explain what she and her neighbors had installed(!) She got her mail out of the box and pressed a button on the post - the box stopped swaying.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:23:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ours don't rotate.
And I guess I was wrong about the blank line.
On 1/21/2016 9:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Or, the resident would put the flag up if there was a letter going out.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 21:39:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You never put a blank line between your text and what's before it.

That's what I thought would happen in the US until we actually moved to a place with a rural mailbox. But apparently here, the red is only to tell the mailman that there is outgoing mail.

That is what I saw on the show "Holmes Makes It Right" I didn't understand until he showed a pic with the little flag. I like this better than the USA but I know it ain't gonna happen...
--
Tekkie