Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

Page 2 of 4

Heh.... George, meet Sheldon, or Shellshock, or jes plain shelly. He never lets the facts get in the way of an opinionated and/or colorful post. ;)
nb
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 2, 7:38 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Geez. Did you totally fail every class involving physics?
Getting a bit tired of your juvenile cheap shots. So far all of them addressed to me and other have proven to be as wrong as your knowledge of hydraulics.
I not onlyi own my own home it has been paid for for over 30 years and sits on 2 acres (half no longer irrigated).
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/1/2011 11:56 PM, Harry K wrote:

I don't have or use any 5/8 garden hose. That'd be worthless.
--
Steve Barker
✖

I hardly think anyone would classify a 1" hose as a 'garden hose'.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:59:12 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Why not, that's what it's called... not everyone has a widdle garden... many commercial nurserys use 1" garden hose, enables them to shoot greater volume further.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/1/2011 11:59 PM, Harry K wrote:

that's what the people who make and sell them call them.
--
Steve Barker
✖

Yes they do but the average person doesn't.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/29/11 6:30 PM, James Nipper wrote:

I wonder if you could find some used hand move sprinkler line. The stuff I'm thinking of is 4" aluminum and has a coupler for a sprinkler at each joint. It usually came in 30' or 40' sections. You could just pull it apart to drain it or put a valve at a joint now and then. One drawback might be its temptation to thieves.
Add pictures here
✖

Good Lord. That stuff would now have antique value wouldn't it Dean?
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/29/11 11:21 PM, FarmI wrote:

I've never heard of anyone collecting it. Old tractors and farm equipment , old cars and barb wire, yes. A former co worker told me people collect the insulators used on the old overhead phone lines. The scrap value of used aluminum pipe might be pretty high. Many farmers in my area went to pivot irrigation so scrapped their irrigation pipe. No one much cared for hand move sprinkler line. It was just too labor intensive. My Dad had some. He also had "volunteers" to help move it.
Add pictures here
✖

Nah, neither have I, but farmers tend to get attached to stuff that's been sitting in their PUS pile for years and the value increases in leaps and bounds when someone else might want it.
Old tractors and

:-)) I have a few of those. I also have a few old rabbit traps that I've foudn round the paddocks over time.

You didn't step back fast enough did you ;-))
Add pictures here
✖

Used all the time in farm irrigation. Also in the recycling business - very popular with the midnight recyclers.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Used all the time in farm irrigation. Also in the recycling business - very popular with the midnight recyclers. __________________________________ So what do they do with it? I presume they have a market, but is it for the pipes or for the aluminium.
Add pictures here
✖

It's sold for scrap. High value, low weight.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

I don't know what country you're in but I use polypipe to take water all over the place and since a lot of it has now been in place for up to 20 years, I don't consider it to be temporary.
I use 2 inch, 1 inch and three quarter inch. Very little of this is laid underground except for perhaps 20 ft of the 2 inch stuff that forms a main artery. Some of the 1 inch and three quarters of an inch stuff has become covered over the eyars as drebris drops on top of it. I have a main 2 inch line coming from our big tank (cistern in USian) and then I run one inch and 3/4 inch withint the veg garden and in the orchard and down to the chook pen and also from another 2 inch pipe down at the pond at the bottom of the garden.
Lay it out on a hot summers day when the sun helps it to lie out better and carry some hot water to do all the connections and it's an easy job. One hint would be that if you manage to find little sprinkler heads that you like, buy a truck load. I am reduced to 2 heads of my favourites.
Add pictures here
✖

Agree with the above. For what he wants to do, 1" poly pipe should work. It's readily available at HD, Lowes, plumbing supply, online, etc. and reasonably priced.
Add pictures here
✖

I agree that poly pipe is the least expensive course of action. 500 foot of 3/4" is only about $65 at this site: http://www.submatic.com/catalog/poly-flex-hose.html
Pex would cost a lot more. Your local prices might vary a bit but should still be well under a hundred.
I don't have a clue as to the UV effect on poly pipe. Buried it lasts for a very long time. A water line I installed in 1969 is still in use today.
--
Colbyt
✖
On 6/29/2011 6:30 PM, James Nipper wrote:

you could use PEX or PVC, but both are weakened by long term exposure to UV (sun) So you'd have to paint them with some light colored exterior latex after laying them out. I'd suspect they'd give you 5 or 6 years service without paint. (my experience) then they start to get brittle.
--
Steve Barker
✖

That's what I do during dry spells, hitch my Agra-Fab cart to a tractor and haul water in a poly tank or in a couple dozen 5 gallon contractor buckets filled about 3/4s... only takes about a minute to fill each bucket if I remove the nozzle from my 5/8" garden hose. I rarely use the poly tank, the buckets are easier as I can more easily guage how much water each plant gets (1 bucket is usually sufficient). I water newly planted saplings and shrubs during dry spells, maybe 2-3 times a season as most years there's plenty of rain. I think it's actually mentally retarded to build an irrigation system as the OP, etal indicate unless it's a fairly arid clime or for a plant nursery business or someone has more dollars than brain cells. Plastic buckets are cheap, usually free... just got three more buckets today taht's be ready to go once I empty the cat litter... I have more than I can count and they nest so take very little room. If you drill a 3/16" hole on the side near the bottom of the bucket it will drip water for a plant for several hours.
Add pictures here
✖

I have black polypipe that's been in the sunlight for up to 20 years. The biggest danger to my black polypipe has been from my garden fork and frost popping the connectors off.
Add pictures here
✖