Running wires from the attic to the basement

A few days ago I posted a message about running wires through a cold air return. Here's more info about the problem. I have some exterior lights on the second story of my house that I want to install. I need to run power to the lights and of course add a switch. If I call an electrician, would he/she be able to run wire down to the basement to the panel and then install a switch on the first floor? Or, would they tap into a hot wire in the attic and install a switch on the second floor?

Reply to
Ultraglide

Yes...

They would do what/whichever was most appropriate/necessary.

Unless the lights are massive, it would seem likely adding them to an existing nearby lighting circuit would be the logical solution, but pulling to a first story switch location may still be some effort of course.

All depends on particulars of actual house, locations of panel, junction boxes, etc., etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

We would have no *specific* idea what it would take to run a wire from the 2nd floor of your house to the panel, but in general, the answer is "Yes, this could be done".

Any decent electrician should be able to run a wire from just about any where in your house and put a switch just able anywhere you want it. They may be able to tap into an existing circuit, or they may need to run a new circuit. There are far too many details specific to your house for us to answer with much more than "Yes, it can be done" and "There is probably more than one way for you to get the lights and switch(es) you want."

I suggest that you contact at least 3 electricians before deciding how to proceed. No offense, but your question indicates a lack of knowledge in the field of home wiring and you don't want to simply accept the word (and price) of the first person you talk to. If you get at least 3 quotes, I think you'll be able to determine if one or more of them are trying to rip you off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Check in the attic and basement if there is clearance near the plumbing vent pipe from the basement through the roof. There may be gaps enough to snake a wire down along the vent. Otherwise, holes can be drilled through the tops and bottoms of walls (And offending firestops) to pass wires through. If it's a 2 story house, you would need to find a spot where walls on each floor are directly above each other.

Reply to
Bob F

Perhaps put the wiring in external conduit to the external light, with the switch wired inside on the main floor or basement, where the wire goes out to the condoit. I used to like AluClad wire for that kind of job but have not seen if in about 15 years.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Not on _my_ house... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

You might want to look at an X-10 solution. (RF control over the AC wiring) That way you just need to find some convenient power in the attic and you could control the lights from anywhere in the house that you have an X-10 transmitter switch. You can also get X-10 timers and other controllers.

Reply to
gfretwell

Jeebus man, whatever you do, don't hire a girl "electrician."

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

I can do anything that you want. It all depends on what your budget permits, how neat you want the job to be, how fast you want it done and will you allow me to cut holes in your walls and ceilings to run wires if I can't snake them from the basement to the attic. Is your basement finished? How accessible is your attic?

Your best bet is to get a few electricians over and pump their brains instead of people who cannot see your house and what your options are.

Reply to
John Grabowski

have a friend who put up a fake downspout to run wires.

does your home have roof sewer vents? a satellite dish? how abbout other utility lines entering home?

Reply to
hallerb

The old Uluclad or alusheith cable almost dissapeared running on the outside of many houses.

Reply to
clare

a) unavoidable, but unobtrusive b) no c) underground

--

Reply to
dpb