Running my house from a Generator, can I do this?....

I recently moved into a new house in Michigan, that does not currently have a Generator hook up.

I just ran 4 guage wire to my garage with a 60amp breaker on both sides to run an Air Compessor/Welder/etc.

I'm wondering, could I take something like a 9000 watt generator, wire a plug for it into a 60 amp breaker in the panel in my garage. Then if our power went out, I go into the house, flip off the main breaker, and all the breakers except the subpanel, furnace, refridgerator, pump, and a few others.

Then I plug in and fire up the generator in my garage, or right outside it, and feed power into the house from that to run those select items?

This seems like it would be a great idea, just want to make sure that would be ok??

Thanks, James

Reply to
sparty

I hope you really mean outside only. Never put one inside unless you have a unit designed for it and know how to safely install it inside.

Let's start with the fact that it would be illegal and unsafe. You need a special connection box that assures that you are totally disconnected from the grid before you supply any power to your own home. Ignoring this can kill a utility worked who might be trying to restore power to your home and working on a line he knows is disconnected from the grid and therefore dead, that you have just powered up. You also would be powering up every other home in the neighborhood.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would be turning off the main breaker coming into my house first in this scenario, wouldn't I be disconnected from the grid then??

When I said > sparty wrote:

Reply to
sparty

Yes, IF you could guarantee that the main breaker was always open before switching in the generator. The only way to do that is with a transfer switch that won't allow one to be connected without disconnecting the other first. There are either dedicated transfer switchs for that or some panel manufacturers have a low cost kit that installs a metal shield type device that goes over the existing panel to prevent the main and the connecting circuit breaker from being closed at the same time.

As Joseph pointed out, to do it any other way is illegal.

Reply to
trader4

According to sparty :

Yes, but that's not enough for the electrical code. The code requires it to be impossible for both the generator and mains be connected at the same time. Double-male cordsets are called suicide cords for good reason, and are code violations too.

A goof during a blackout can cause major damage or worse.

If you're going to have a generator big enough to be worth doing this with, you should invest in a transfer switch and do it properly.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

This is against the code rules, it is unsafe, and if something bad were to happen, you are liable.

I know,I know, your going to turn off the main before connecting and starting the generator, that is exactly what everyone who has caused damage to utility systems and or injury to utility workers has said, which is precisely why it is now totally against the rules to do it. Generator transfer switches are not that expensive, I think a manual switch to handle your generator can be had for around 300 bucks or so.Honestly, the liability is just too great, you try to save a few hundred bucks and someone gets killed or injured....is it REALLY worth it? Think of it like this, YOU know you would NEVER forget to switch off the main breaker, your wife and kids would NEVER touch the thing, BUT, one day during an outage a utility worker gets zapped......suddenly you remember the old saying......NEVER say NEVER.

George

sparty wrote:

Reply to
George

In order to do this in a code compliant way you will need a separate run of wire to the house main lighting and appliance panel that will connect the generator inlet to the transfer mechanism. You cannot make one run of wire provide current in two different directions accept as a part of an expensive power management system that uses electrically interlocked contactors backed up by shunt trip breakers. It is far less expensive in a residence to run separate wires.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician

Ok, thank you all for your response, I will not do it this way then. I agree, there is a chance over the years, that somehow accidently, a person may forget to turn of the main switch.

I have seen something similar to what you guys are talking about in my brother-in-laws house. So what exactly do I need to buy, and is this something I could install myself? I am pretty proficient in wiring, just curious if it's possible to do it yourself, and what EXACTLY I need to buy.

Thanks aga> This is against the code rules, it is unsafe, and if something bad were

Reply to
sparty

You can get purpose-made generator sets at Home Depot and other places that come with the necessary hardware to comply with code and crank up and do the transfer automatically.

Use a proper transfer switch--you do _not_ want to be on the receiving end of the lawsuit when your non-code-compliant jury rig electrocutes the guy from the power company.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It will still not be legal, nor in my view safe. Even if YOU would remember to do it right, what if it happened when you were not at home and someone else wanted to turn it on?

It is both a legal issue and a safety issue. Don't try and second guess the electrical code. Every time I see someone who things they know better than the code, it is foolish. If you are going to do it, do it right.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It is a power transfer switch. Any electrical supply will know what it is when you tell them what it is for. Note, there may be some local codes that apply in addition to the ones we know of.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As one that climbs poles (occasionally) for a living (>33-years), I am VERY pleased to see so many folks unanimously reply to the occasional DIY, would-be generator user insisting that a proper transfer switch is used.

Utility restoration following a bad storm is dangerous enough without having to worry (too much) about an ignorant generator user causing even more risk.

Virtually all "dead" power lines are bonded to ground prior to their being worked on, and other safety measures are employed (insulated gauntlets, hot sticks, etc) but there is always the risk of encountering an energized line.

A great bunch here, for sure. Thanks!

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Well, against code at the best; disastrous at worst.

You need a special connection box that assures

It's called a Transfer Switch. Google for it.

More realitically, you could do some pretty good damage to your genset if you miwsire it and don't notice it. Or forget the sequence and apply line power directly to your genset. Smoke, fire, all kind os things become possible. Never depend on a dependable brain: It's gotta be foolproof to work, or as nearly so as possible.

Reply to
Pop

Yes, but it depends on YOU being perfect an ddoing everything right, besides anyone else that might try it when you aren't around. Get a Transfer Switch and do it right.

Reply to
Pop

Jim, if you are one of those who work on those lines ..... THANKS.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You may well be absolutely certain that neither you nor anyone in your house will never make a mistake and screw that up, but the last guy to kill a lineman with his generator was just as certain as you are.

Reply to
Goedjn

One method:

Go to your panel maker's web site. They may have a small kit for your panel that's approved (I know HomeLite does). It's essentially a sliding bit of metal that prevents the breaker connecting your generator and the main panel switch from both being on at the same time.

With a piece of aluminum, careful measurements, a Dremel, and a couple of screws, you can fabricate your own.

Anyway, the HomeLite thingy costs about $45 retail.

Reply to
HeyBub

I thought I might do that someday. That is, until I read about it here. About how one little mistake could have such severe consequences.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Excellent comments posted regarding transfer switches, etc. But let's back up to the overall strategy:

  1. All year long, you need refrigeration for food. During freezing weather, it can be placed in the garage in a cooler.
  2. In the winter, you need heat. If your heat is electric, you may not have sufficient power for it. If it's gas-fired, it won't take much power to run the fan and thermostat.
  3. In summer, you may want A/C, but you may not have sufficient power to run more than some fans.
  4. The pump may be needed, depending on the season and weather.

A 9000 watt generator fueled by gasoline is fairly thirsty. Something like 3500-5500 watts with at least 6-10 hours runtime is probably a better choice. If you are iced in, you are not likely to be able to obtain more fuel except to siphon from vehicles. You may need 5-6 gallons of fuel every 8 hours (for example) for the outage duration. That's 18 gallons per day. Flammable fuel storage will be an issue.

Consider supplementing your electrically powered items with things like coolers, camp stoves, fish cookers, gas grills, camping lanterns and battery-powered fans. Creating total dependency on a single generator and its fuel supply does not allow a backup plan.

Determ>I recently moved into a new house in Michigan, that does not currently

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Roy Starrin