Running heating oil lines

My oil-burning furnace is in the basement. I'm putting in a new tank, in a new location, to replace an older one which is being removed, so I need to run some new lines. Couple of questions:

1) The furnace has two copper lines running to it, so I assume this is a 2-line system. How do I pipe the second (return) line? Does this just go into the top of the tank?

2) In the new location, the most direct route for the line would be to run along the exterior foundation for a ways, cross about 6 feet of concrete walk/patio adjacent to the house (crossing a doorway), enter the crawlspace through a vent, and over to the furnace. Any suggestions for crossing the doorway? I know best would be best to tunnel under the concrete walk/patio, but I only have access from one side (the line would need to come straight up out of the concrete before going into the crawlspace), so this seems difficult. I suppose I could break up part of the walk, lay the line, and repour the concrete, but it will be tough to make this look good. Another option would be to run the line up and over the doorframe - again not the best looking approach, but certainly simple. Is there any problem associated with running the line up (above the level of the tank) and back down? Will the pump be able to prime?

Thanks for any input,

KJ

Reply to
kellyjones1

I can tell you about my new install, the line goes from the tank up the wall across the ceiling down the wall to the boiler (about 8' up 12' across 8' down) I have never had to prime it yet so I am not sure how they did it. and mine is a one line system not two.

Clark...

Reply to
Clark...