Running gas line to HW heater

Page 1 of 2
I posted a few days ago on relocating my HW heater to make more living space in my basement. I purchased a Kenmore (AO Smith) HW heater on Friday and today I started piping the gas. It was a lot easier for me to come off the Tee for my furnace than to use the existing gas line, which will eventually be capped off and enclosed in the wall. You can't see it in these pics, but the old gas drop is actually more to the right of the old HW heater. Plus this also let me keep the old HW heater runnning while I work on the new one. Here are some pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/GasPipeHWHeater?feat=directlink
Is there anything wrong doing it like this?
Add pictures here
✖
?

I'm not sure about capping a gas pipe in a wall. I'd be afraid to do that and get a gas buildup in there.
Add pictures here
✖

The other problem is that you should have a licensed plumber check your work for code compliance or you will have a problem when it comes time to sell the house. I'd be concerned that you have a large enough supply to run both the furnace and HW heater at the same time.
Add pictures here
✖

I looks like mine is hooked up and lots of other ones I've seen. The only odd thing that might cause someone to look twice at it is the extra long stub extending down just before the gas heater. Normally that stub is about 6" long.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 23, 7:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I extended it down to the floor so the pipe can be supported rather than hang. I can always shorten later.
Add pictures here
✖

Proper support of gas piping is done with pipe hangers, NOT by extending sections down to the floor to prop it up...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
?

Mostly, but if it is not possible to use a hanger, it is allowed to use a floor support. Given that a ceiling or joist can be 16' above a gas line while the floor is 10" below, sometimes it just makes sense to put a cradle in place.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

However, the line in question is against a concrete wall where a single hanger at the el where it heads to the heater would be the cat's meow...
✖
?
wrote

It would be the cat's scream if someone stepped on that horizontal pip though. A support under the nipple would save it.
Add pictures here
✖

Should not be a problem since that is what I had originally. The pipe running across the ceiling is 1", then there is a 1"X3/4"X3/4" Tee. One 3/4" drop comes by the furnace (which then Tee's to 1/2" to feed the furnace). The other 3/4" went on to feed the old HW heater/dryer/ stove. What I did was add another 3/4" tee by the furnace drop. Plus I am eliminating the old HW heater. So I'm not changing the size of pipe or adding on something else. The volume of gas stays the same.
Add pictures here
✖

How old is that old water heater? The reason I'm asking is that there's no draft hood on it. They have been required for some time and that heater doesn't look ancient.
✖
RicodJour wrote: ...

"Required" by whom/where/what?
I just put in a replacement two months ago...
✖

Me/your house/yep. ;)

At first I thought you were joking, but on second reading I can see you're not. The draft hood comes standard already attached to the WH around here. Yours doesn't?
My CodeCheck has the applicable requirements listed this way in the Water Heaters section: Draft hood/barometric damper in the same space as WH IRC [1802.1, 2407.3] UBC Only 1 draft hood IRC [2426.5] UBC Secure vent connector to draft hood & vent with screws or other approved means IRC [2427.10.7] UBC
And some more on it: http://www.checkthishouse.com/49/water-heater-vent-pipe.html
✖
RicodJour wrote:

I read it as meaning req'd force draft, not natural.
The picture I looked at of the OP's surely looked to me as tho the draft hood was there; only that it wasn't yet hooked up.
✖

I know no other name for it that a draft hood. Where did the forced draft drift into the picture?

Yes, that's right.
✖

Yes, but the inspector can also red tag it and then he's going to be hurting.
Add pictures here
✖

I live fairly close to the OP and our Town allows a homeowner to do their own plumbing work if they take a Town test and pass it. We are not allowed to work on gas lines or electrical. Both of these are ignored on a daily basis, as is the requirement for getting a permit and having inspections.
✖
Ok here is the finished product. Just got this bad boy hooked up today.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/HwHeaterFinished?feat=directlink
Yes, there was no draft hood on the existing HW heater. I don't know why they did it like that, but this is why I refuse to have anyone do work in my house. I replaced the flue going into the chimney as it was rusted and corroded. I even added an extra shut-off valve on the HW outlet just for convenience.
I took a nice hot shower, had my pasta dinner that my wife made with sausage and meatballs, and now I'm having a glass of wine and getting ready for the Jets/Pittsburgh game.
Add pictures here
✖

If your wife can make pasta out of sausage and meatballs, she's a keeper. ;)
✖
On Jan 23, 7:35 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

What tipped you off? The wine or the singular wife?
✖