Running computer cables from basement to floor above

I seldom plug my camera into a computer, but use a memory card reader. That's a USB device too, and would work fine with the same hub as the keyboard & mouse.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Or 2003 or 2.

My camera doesn't have unpluggable memory, only a USB port. But I got it mostly to post pictures for this newsgroup to look at, or ads on Ebay. So it's enough for me.
Hey, whaddaya expect for 10 dollars?
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

Just a thought. You should call a good computer shop and inquire about the acceptable length for cables. I think USB has a max length of 12' or so. So you might be out of luck in doing the project with a USB cable. I have no idea what the max length of a cable for your screen is.
Unless noise is really, really critical for some reason, I think the cheapest/best solution would be to replace your fans with quieter ones -- an maybe replace your hard drives, too.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:36:28 -0700, Pat

I always heard 5 meters (16'), and you can connect 5 hubs together to get 25 meters (80 feet).

I have a 100-foot cable, but the picture is visibly degraded.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
I bought a 15' extension monitor cable (the old kind) , and there were problems with the quality of the video. I had to buy a better cable and everything was fine. It had the 1" diameter by 1.5" long cylinders embedded in the cable, one on each end. You can actually get the snap on cylinders separately. Also make sure not directly beside the hydro outside.

-
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Buy a quiet machine. If you need a monster machine, buy a laptop to use as a "terminal" (with removable disks) and use VNC to "connect" the the "server" in the basement.
--
Keith

As other have have said, cable length might be an issue, especially for the monitor. My computer lives in Grandma's antique desk and to minimize damage, I didn't want to drill holes for the cables. I was able to remove a bottom panel but then I needed extensions for my non- usb mouse, non-usb keyboard and monitor. The extension cables for the mouse and keyboard were not a problem and I believe they come in some decent lengths.
The monitor cable was a different story. I bought a "standard" monitor extension cord at Best Buy and my video quality sucked. I did a little internet research and found that I needed to use a shielded coaxial extension cable in order to maintain good quality. Just as an example, this site sells them for $13 - $80, depending on the length you need.
http://www.vpi.us/cable-vga.html
All this said, I think sticking the computer in a remote location may not be the best idea, for all the reasons so many others have mentioned.

Do you think some day the faux-formica computer desks with the slide out shelf for the keyboard and the holes for the cables will be antiques?
Will people ask their value on the 2097 edition of the Antiques Road Show?
Do think DerbyMom might someday be a grandmother and the grown grandkid will be afraid to damage the curved edges of the swivel shelves?

I suppose someone who really wanted to avoid noise would use a fanless diskless computer (it boots over the network) on a network with a file server in the basement.