Running Central Air Conditioning Fan

If I set my AC fan to automatic but switch off the A/C (at the thermostat) will the fan go on at the "selected" temperature? I have been running the fan with the A/C off but the fan in the "on" position and would like to save on the elec.as well as wear on the fan motor. When I tried it on auto the fan didn't come on although the temp was above the set limit. I only waited a short time. Thanks, DB
No it will not