Running cables to the wall mount LCD TV

I have a new LCD TV that I will be mounting in the middle of the wall.

Here comes the problem, because of the way the room is set up, I would like to put my DVD & VCD player off to one side at a corner. I don't want a rack sticking out 24" out of the wall with a LDC TV above it mounted on the wall, because then the wall mounting the TV is not saving me any space, I might as well put back my direct view CRT.

So now to the right of my wall mount TV (I have not yet mounted it) there are some existing shelves, and pictures hung etc...and further to the right, is a corner table with my DVD and VCR player on it. There is already a coaxial jack at the corner there for the cable TV.

So I think I will run wires from the corner up the attic and across and back down.

The question is what wires? I need cable, and I also have a need to occasionally record from cable, so I will modify this jack into a modular plate - one with six openings.

I will run a coaxial from this jack to the VCR, and from the VCR back to the jack. Then I will run a coaxial wire from there up and over and back down to the new TV. This should work. At the back of my VCR there is a coaxial out and a composite video out and an audio L & R out. If I do not use the coaxial out, but instead run a composite video out and audio L & R out, will I get better quality pictures from my cable feed?

Now onto my DVD player. It has a composite video out, S-video out and component video out. I will run a component video cable out - up - over - down to the TV.

Will this be the optimum arrangement? But component requires three video wires + two audio wires - total of five plus the coaxial will be six. Will I really be able to appreciate the "supposedly" better quality video from component?

I assume I cannot feed the cable signal through as composite right? If I have the coaxial cable feed into the VCR and run a composite video + audio L/R out to the TV will I be able to watch the cable this way with VCR on? If this work will it be a better way to go or not?

Finally, whether I use composite or component, are the wires the same? The jacks look the same so the connectors are the same? Where do I buy these wires? I assume they are standard AV wires right? That the audio lines and the composite video or component video lines are the same types of wires and connectors correct? or no?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse