Running cable across doorway??

Not to mention, you'd have to grind and breathe them daily for 20+ years before there MIGHT be a chance you'd demonstrate symptoms in another 20 years after that. It's such a bunch of bullshit the government has put upon the public it's not even funny.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Ahh you know or suspect its asbestos. You sell your home and dont disclose it. A year later the new owner stumbles onto the asbestos tile under another tile floor and mentions it to his neighbor, oh yeah he mentioned that perhaps 5 years ago, thought it was asbestos., covered it up

old owner is now getting sued and will lose for professional asbestos removal for many thousands of dollars let alone his legal costs...... and hassles.

Reply to
hallerb

partsexpress.com has a piece of flat, flexible coax for just such a dilemma.

Reply to
kellyj00

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: on asbstos removal not just the tile has asbestos often the adhesive does too:(

YES this must be disclosed at time of home sale:( otherwise the next owner when he sees its asbestos can sue you for professional removal. at a cost of many thousands of dollars.

Harry K wrote: Is floor tile an asbestos problem. That stuff is 'encapsulated' unless you break up the tiles in little bitty pieces and pound them to powder. Looks to me like they would be the same category as cement/asbestos siding. Not a 'professional removal' requirement.

Caveat: always check with your state and local government on their laws regarding asbestos disclosure and abatement.

That being said, in my experience in three states, only friable asbestos - stuff that can break up easily and get airborne - is of concern to the government and to your health. It's the breathing in of asbestos particles that lodge in the lungs that is the danger.

So ceiling tiles, pipe insulation and the like is definitely a health risk. Floor tiles that contain a mix of asbestos and other substances pose a much lower risk as long as you don't sand them or break them up with something that would cause bits to float in the air, like an electric jackhammer.

Oh, and definitely don't use a heat gun or hair dryer on them as you may blow around particulate that would otherwise behave itself. I like the idea of a damp towel and a clothes iron. I'll have to remember that one.

Reply to
Kyle