Running cable across doorway??

Page 1 of 2

I'm having my basement re-carpeted. I have a doorway that I currently have 1 speaker wire and 2 CATV cables running across. The old carpet had padding so I just cut a channel into the padding and ran a 1/4" x 1-1/4" cable protector across the doorway. The new carpet will be glued down with no padding. The other room will not be carpeted yet. What would be the best way to get the cable across the door? Right now the installers plan to use a raised molding that I put the cable inside. The problem with that is that I still have to get the cable to the inside of the doorway (we currently don't use a door here. I was thinking about cutting a channel into the concrete floor and either use a conduit or the cable protector. I have pictures of the doorway here: http://www.sjfphoto.com/newcarpet /
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

where they should have been in the first place? Snaking through drywall, or even slicing/patching a stud cavity, is much easier than breaking the floor. If the walls a masonry or clay tile, just hide the cable risers in a shelf unit.
BTW, assuming that is a 2'-6" door, that looks like 9" tile. With that size and that color pattern, it is quite possibly of a vintage likely to have asbestos in it. Late 50s- early 60s, right?
aem sends...
Yes, I've been told that the tiles are probably asbestos. I only removed what is in the way. I used a spackle knife and pryed them up. They came up pretty easily.
I don't see the ceiling is an option here.

IMHO:
I'm not an asbestos expert, and don't suggest working with asbestos yourself. However, if these tiles are 'safe' or you can be 'safe' I recommend a hot air gun. You might find the tiles come up so easy, you might remove them all. ;)
later,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Tom The Great wrote:

For the door, I think Joseph's threshold idea sounds easy. Doors frequently have thresholds anyway, so I think it would look OK. You could cut/chisel out a channel in the bottom of the threshold, or use one that is hollow.
Regarding the asbestos tiles, before I put the new floor down, I'd investigate what the real estate disclosure laws require you to say about asbestos tiles on a future sale. Some states have a disclosure form that asks specific questions that you need to fill out. I'd want to know what your obligation in that area is. If, for example, it asks, "Does the home have any form of asbestos?", then if it were me, I'd get them taken out now, as it's fairly easy and avoids any future issues.
Tom The Great wrote:

Instead of a hot air gun, I suggest the safer venue of placing a towel on the target tile and then applying a hot iron to the towel for a few seconds, just as if you're ironing a shirt. The tiles peel right off.

Here we go again...... Asbestos in tile is NOT dangerous unless you sand or grind them. The asbestos particles are embedded in the tile and wont get into your lungs.
As far as running that cable, go thru the wall or find another route. Chiselling out concrete, etc. is reduculous. Another option would be to get some Wiremold channel, attach that to the wall, and run it thru that. You can paint the channel to match the walls. One other thing that oculd be used is those rubber floor strips they use in offices to run computer cables. It just sticks to the floor and the cables are under it.
Not to mention, you'd have to grind and breathe them daily for 20+ years before there MIGHT be a chance you'd demonstrate symptoms in another 20 years after that. It's such a bunch of bullshit the government has put upon the public it's not even funny.
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com> wrote in message
Steve wrote:

While I would suggest the wall or the ceiling would be preferred, you could put in a threshold and put it under that.
You are speaking ONLY of speaker wire, right?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Hi Joseph,
As I mentioned, I'm running 1 speaker wire and 2 CATV cables.
Steve

on asbstos removal not just the tile has asbestos often the adhesive does too:(
YES this must be disclosed at time of home sale:( otherwise the next owner when he sees its asbestos can sue you for professional removal. at a cost of many thousands of dollars.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Is floor tile an asbestos problem. That stuff is 'encapsulated' unless you break up the tiles in little bitty pieces and pound them to powder. Looks to me like they would be the same category as cement/asbestos siding. Not a 'professional removal' requirement.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: on asbstos removal not just the tile has asbestos often the adhesive does too:(
YES this must be disclosed at time of home sale:( otherwise the next owner when he sees its asbestos can sue you for professional removal. at a cost of many thousands of dollars.
Harry K wrote: Is floor tile an asbestos problem. That stuff is 'encapsulated' unless you break up the tiles in little bitty pieces and pound them to powder. Looks to me like they would be the same category as cement/asbestos siding. Not a 'professional removal' requirement.
Caveat: always check with your state and local government on their laws regarding asbestos disclosure and abatement.
That being said, in my experience in three states, only friable asbestos - stuff that can break up easily and get airborne - is of concern to the government and to your health. It's the breathing in of asbestos particles that lodge in the lungs that is the danger.
So ceiling tiles, pipe insulation and the like is definitely a health risk. Floor tiles that contain a mix of asbestos and other substances pose a much lower risk as long as you don't sand them or break them up with something that would cause bits to float in the air, like an electric jackhammer.
Oh, and definitely don't use a heat gun or hair dryer on them as you may blow around particulate that would otherwise behave itself. I like the idea of a damp towel and a clothes iron. I'll have to remember that one.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Is floor tile an asbestos problem? That stuff is 'encapsulated' unless you break up the tiles in little bitty pieces and pound them to powder. Looks to me like they would be the same category as cement/asbestos siding. Not a 'professional removal' requirement.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Is it a problem? Yes and no. That's why I suggested he look into his local disclosure requirements for real estate sales. If it were my home and I intended to never sell it, I wouldn't care if asbestos tile was covered over with some other material and left there. And I agree, using correct technique and removal methods, it doesn't require professional removal, at least in most jurisdictions.
However, if I thought I would eventually sell the house and asbestos floor tile that has been covered over does have to be disclosed in his area, then I think I would probably remove it now, just to avoid any issues later. For example, you have a buyer that has offered a very good price, but wants a reduction because of the asbestos. Plus if it is a disclosure item, many buyers will offer less or move choose a similar house with no asbestos.

Yeah, if you are stupid enough to dish out that kind of money for no reason......
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Ahh you know or suspect its asbestos. You sell your home and dont disclose it. A year later the new owner stumbles onto the asbestos tile under another tile floor and mentions it to his neighbor, oh yeah he mentioned that perhaps 5 years ago, thought it was asbestos., covered it up
old owner is now getting sued and will lose for professional asbestos removal for many thousands of dollars let alone his legal costs...... and hassles.
partsexpress.com has a piece of flat, flexible coax for just such a dilemma.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It has to be disclosed ONLY IF you know it is asbestos.
Ignorance is bliss.

Yep, use wiremold if you cant snake it thru the walls.