Running cable across doorway??

I'm having my basement re-carpeted. I have a doorway that I currently have

1 speaker wire and 2 CATV cables running across. The old carpet had padding so I just cut a channel into the padding and ran a 1/4" x 1-1/4" cable protector across the doorway. The new carpet will be glued down with no padding. The other room will not be carpeted yet. What would be the best way to get the cable across the door? Right now the installers plan to use a raised molding that I put the cable inside. The problem with that is that I still have to get the cable to the inside of the doorway (we currently don't use a door here. I was thinking about cutting a channel into the concrete floor and either use a conduit or the cable protector. I have pictures of the doorway here:

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Cutting concrete, vs. extending the cables enough to run them in ceiling where they should have been in the first place? Snaking through drywall, or even slicing/patching a stud cavity, is much easier than breaking the floor. If the walls a masonry or clay tile, just hide the cable risers in a shelf unit.

BTW, assuming that is a 2'-6" door, that looks like 9" tile. With that size and that color pattern, it is quite possibly of a vintage likely to have asbestos in it. Late 50s- early 60s, right?

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

Yes, I&#39;ve been told that the tiles are probably asbestos. I only removed what is in the way. I used a spackle knife and pryed them up. They came up pretty easily.

I don&#39;t see the ceiling is an option here.

Reply to
Steve

While I would suggest the wall or the ceiling would be preferred, you could put in a threshold and put it under that.

You are speaking ONLY of speaker wire, right?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

IMHO:

I&#39;m not an asbestos expert, and don&#39;t suggest working with asbestos yourself. However, if these tiles are &#39;safe&#39; or you can be &#39;safe&#39; I recommend a hot air gun. You might find the tiles come up so easy, you might remove them all. ;)

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

For the door, I think Joseph&#39;s threshold idea sounds easy. Doors frequently have thresholds anyway, so I think it would look OK. You could cut/chisel out a channel in the bottom of the threshold, or use one that is hollow.

Regarding the asbestos tiles, before I put the new floor down, I&#39;d investigate what the real estate disclosure laws require you to say about asbestos tiles on a future sale. Some states have a disclosure form that asks specific questions that you need to fill out. I&#39;d want to know what your obligation in that area is. If, for example, it asks, "Does the home have any form of asbestos?", then if it were me, I&#39;d get them taken out now, as it&#39;s fairly easy and avoids any future issues.

Reply to
trader4

Hi Joseph,

As I mentioned, I&#39;m running 1 speaker wire and 2 CATV cables.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

on asbstos removal not just the tile has asbestos often the adhesive does too:(

YES this must be disclosed at time of home sale:( otherwise the next owner when he sees its asbestos can sue you for professional removal. at a cost of many thousands of dollars.

Reply to
hallerb

--------------------------------------- Instead of a hot air gun, I suggest the safer venue of placing a towel on the target tile and then applying a hot iron to the towel for a few seconds, just as if you&#39;re ironing a shirt. The tiles peel right off.

Reply to
hat

Is floor tile an asbestos problem. That stuff is &#39;encapsulated&#39; unless you break up the tiles in little bitty pieces and pound them to powder. Looks to me like they would be the same category as cement/asbestos siding. Not a &#39;professional removal&#39; requirement.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Is floor tile an asbestos problem? That stuff is &#39;encapsulated&#39; unless you break up the tiles in little bitty pieces and pound them to powder. Looks to me like they would be the same category as cement/asbestos siding. Not a &#39;professional removal&#39; requirement.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Is it a problem? Yes and no. That&#39;s why I suggested he look into his local disclosure requirements for real estate sales. If it were my home and I intended to never sell it, I wouldn&#39;t care if asbestos tile was covered over with some other material and left there. And I agree, using correct technique and removal methods, it doesn&#39;t require professional removal, at least in most jurisdictions.

However, if I thought I would eventually sell the house and asbestos floor tile that has been covered over does have to be disclosed in his area, then I think I would probably remove it now, just to avoid any issues later. For example, you have a buyer that has offered a very good price, but wants a reduction because of the asbestos. Plus if it is a disclosure item, many buyers will offer less or move choose a similar house with no asbestos.

Reply to
trader4

down with wires concealed in plastic raceway, similar to what you are now using.

Reply to
Bennett Price

I think I&#39;m going to do just that except I&#39;m removing the "molding" around the door in the opposite room. I just have to cut some sheetrock away to make room for all the cables then stuff the cables in the gaps.

Reply to
Steve

Just remember to avoid tight turns and do not kink the coax. Quick turns can degrade the signal on cable. Some suggest using a CD to gauge the turns. Running the coax thru the doorway and keeping the turns gradual may be challenging.

Reply to
jolt

Excellent point. Even fiber optic cables have limits on a bend radius.

-- Oren

Oren

Here we go again...... Asbestos in tile is NOT dangerous unless you sand or grind them. The asbestos particles are embedded in the tile and wont get into your lungs.

As far as running that cable, go thru the wall or find another route. Chiselling out concrete, etc. is reduculous. Another option would be to get some Wiremold channel, attach that to the wall, and run it thru that. You can paint the channel to match the walls. One other thing that oculd be used is those rubber floor strips they use in offices to run computer cables. It just sticks to the floor and the cables are under it.

Reply to
maradcliff

Yeah, if you are stupid enough to dish out that kind of money for no reason......

Reply to
maradcliff

Yep, use wiremold if you cant snake it thru the walls.

Reply to
maradcliff

It has to be disclosed ONLY IF you know it is asbestos.

Ignorance is bliss.

Reply to
HeyBub