Running boards for wiring unfinished basement

I have to install some more wiring and receptacles in my unfinished basement. I know I have to make running boards for the wire that runs perpendicular to the floor joists, but I'm not sure exactly how. Can someone link a picture or specifications? Is it just a flat board or does it have to have sides that extend past the wire like a channel? I don't want to drill holes in the joists at this time because all the rest of the wiring is just stapled across the joists.
Thanks Dante
I don't think that the NEC clearly defines "running board" , so I would imaging a 2x4 could be used as well as a 1x6 depending upon how much cable you need to run

I had that problem 50 years of others doing all surface wiring.
So I just added more then installed a drop suspended cieling. It protects the wiring .....
and added some value giving basement a finished look

By the time you buy the boards, you may be cheaper off running EMT conduit and just putting in single strand wire with a box on the end to feed the romex to the fixtures.