Running Board Requirements

I've searched around and checked where I could think of in the NEC. Are there any particular requirements for the size/composition for crawlspace running boards? I'm rewiring my entire house (built in 1940s, rewired by a previous owner - its a NIGHTMARE!) I've seen recommendations to use 2x4s. Is this a requirement, or preference? What about using something smaller?
On 31 Oct 2006 20:30:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is not specified but usually they use 1x3 or 1x4s
On Oct 31, 10:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There is no requirement that you even USE "running boards". I assume you are running cable and not pipe? The only thing the NEC requires is that the cable be "adequately supported", using staples or clips "listed" for the application. As a rule, support romex every 4 feet, and stretch it tight so that there are no sags or loops.
Hope this helps!
Glenn Grundberg http://www.goalelectrical.com
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Article 334.15(C) specifically requires running boards when installing NM cable smaller than #6 across joists in an unfinished basement. Whether this applies to crawl spaces as well, the Code doesn't appear to specify, but I think I'd want to check that out with the local electrical inspector first.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

My local area uses the 2002 version of the NEC, which seems to specify that for all 'exposed work'. This would seem to include crawl spaces, although there is some room for interpretation there. It seems that the only place I could get away with NOT using a running board to cross joists would be if there were already a ceiling in place and no way to access the wire for replacement. I'll just play it safe and pick up some 1x4 planks at home depot.