Running a Garden Hose 16.8 Miles.....

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 01:39:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

To answer several questions, we dont know the well depth, but it's at least 100ft. I know when my own well pump died, it was impossible to lift the steel pipes and pump even with my tractor loader. I had a company do the job, which was costly, but my pump is down 370ft. The old pump was 38 years old according to the label on it.
For this guy, I did try another capacitor. I have a few spare pump control boxes on hand, so we tried all of that. Either his pump is dead, or there's a broken wire somewhere down in the well.
I suggested he ask his neighbors if he can run a hose to their house until he can get someone to pull his well. He said he would. However, I told him he needs to disconnect his well tank and either add a valve, or cap off that pipe. Otherwise the water from the neighbor could be pushed back down into his well. (I think that could happen)..... If he gets the neighbors water, I told him I'd come and sweat a valve in his copper pipe for him tomorrow, but I think he's only going to ask them if he can haul buckets, because it's still cold enough that a hose could freeze up, and his neighbor is quite a distance away, so it would take at least 8 hoses.
He's hoping he can get a well company tomorrow.... I recommended the guys that did my well. I was pleased with their work.
On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 9:18:03 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote :

Back when I had a well drilled to get off the community well but I kept the interconnect "just in case". Two yiears ago I had a major leak. I'll just go on the community well. Then face/palm. I had not had a valve installe d. Coast me around $100 to get one put in before I had water again. Would have been a few bucks at the time of installation. Well driller found the leak just above the pump - galvanic corrosion had eaten a galvanized drop p ipe.
On 03/21/2016 09:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

If you have a smartphone, there's prolly an app for that.
On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 11:56:06 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Use PEX
On 3/21/2016 11:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Back in my college days, I learned formulas for a couple sizes of fire hose, to calculate the pressure loss. This was important if you were running fire pump, and wanted to provide the correct pressure at the nozzle. I'm sure there are formulas for garden hose. 3/4 would have less pressure loss than 1/2 inch. I do not know the formulas for garden hose.
Would you like the formulas for 2 1/2 or 3 inch diameter fire hose?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Some cut.
Why not type "pressure loss calculator" into a few search engines and see which results you like the best?

Did you install triple A memory battery in it, 'You Full'
wrote in message
A friend of mine lives 16.8 miles from me. His well pump appears to have died. I went there and checked it for him, and there is power going to the submersible pump, but no water coming out. I also popped off the well cover and can not hear any sound, where a pump can usually be heard.
I told him that he need to get a well driller, or plumber who can pull the pump.
Anyhow, I was just joking around, when I told him that he's welcome to run a garden hose from my house to his place. We got to laughing about this, and said it would probably take at least 500 50ft hoses.
It turns out I was way off..... On my way home, I watched the odometer. He's 16.8 miles away. That's 88,704 feet. (roughly 1775 50ft garden hoses).
Anyhow, this is just nonsense, but I was thinking about it, and wonder if there would be any pressure at the end of 1775 hoses. First off, the hoses would have to go thru culverts so they were not driven over. Then the hose would be going up and down a lot of hills and valleys, in this case, the hose would have to cross a large river, which in itself could be a problem. But like I said, this is just nonsense, but I am wondering if there would be any pressure? I sort of doubt it.
I've already connected SEVEN 50ft hoses (350ft) when I had frozen hydrants, and needed to get water to my animals, and I could notice a considerable slowing of the water, and its pressure.
Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate water pressure thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention it, my pressure tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.
Paintedcow:
How, exactly, do you think water is distributed in some parts of the Philippines?