Running a Garden Hose 16.8 Miles.....

Page 1 of 3
A friend of mine lives 16.8 miles from me. His well pump appears to have died. I went there and checked it for him, and there is power going to the submersible pump, but no water coming out. I also popped off the well cover and can not hear any sound, where a pump can usually be heard.
I told him that he need to get a well driller, or plumber who can pull the pump.
Anyhow, I was just joking around, when I told him that he's welcome to run a garden hose from my house to his place. We got to laughing about this, and said it would probably take at least 500 50ft hoses.
It turns out I was way off..... On my way home, I watched the odometer. He's 16.8 miles away. That's 88,704 feet. (roughly 1775 50ft garden hoses).
Anyhow, this is just nonsense, but I was thinking about it, and wonder if there would be any pressure at the end of 1775 hoses. First off, the hoses would have to go thru culverts so they were not driven over. Then the hose would be going up and down a lot of hills and valleys, in this case, the hose would have to cross a large river, which in itself could be a problem. But like I said, this is just nonsense, but I am wondering if there would be any pressure? I sort of doubt it.
I've already connected SEVEN 50ft hoses (350ft) when I had frozen hydrants, and needed to get water to my animals, and I could notice a considerable slowing of the water, and its pressure.
Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate water pressure thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention it, my pressure tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Pressure at the other end of the hose is exactly the same as at the head end. Problem is friction. The issue is FLOW.
On 3/21/2016 9:00 PM, mike wrote:

On 3/22/2016 12:03 AM, mike wrote:

Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .]nge in altitude.

There would be considerable altitude difference, because that river is the low point, and the hose would go downward a lot, then have to go back up hill to his house.
I dont know what the altitude difference would be, nor how to determine the altitude of my home, his home, and the river. But I do know there are a lot of hills and valleys and some are quite steep!
Actually, how does someone find out the altitude of their home (or any other place)? Is this something that can be found on the web, based on the physical address?
On 3/21/2016 11:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

FWIW, you can connect two houses with plastic pipe, adapters and washing machine hoses, outdoor tap to outdoor tap.
On 3/22/2016 2:13 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

When I was a teen, I came home one day to find a garden hose I didn't recognize, connected from the spigot on my parents house, and going to the spigot on the next door neighbors house. I asked what was with that. Find out that the water department was doing some serious repairs. They got permission from my parents, and ran the hose so the neighbors could have water while they were doing the repairs.
The water guy took our meter off, so we had free water for a couple days.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 03/22/2016 01:13 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:
[snip[

So I might have a use for that "lesbian" (2 female ends) hose I found.
--
"The skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or
researches, as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found."
On 3/22/2016 12:17 PM, notX wrote:

Probably a lesbian laundry hookup ho?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 03/23/2016 06:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I used to have a lesbian hose. The rats are it. No rat problem for 8 years now, too many cats.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I wish the spell checker hadn't messed up there. The rats ATE it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/22/2016 12:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

You may be able to find a topographical map of your area. The valleys and peaks don't make any difference, the down cancels out the up. What matters are source and destination.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Google earth . It's pretty accurate , shows the altitude difference in just a few feet for instance on a hill or something .
--
Snag

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

One looks at a topographic map. USGS is one source.
On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 6:34:02 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:

Of course he isn't interested in the altitude of either hourse, He wants the elevation difference. For that one way way would be two calibrated barometers or altimeters..

or run a 14 mile water level.
On 3/24/2016 1:58 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

Might be able to get some clear tubes to put on the ends of the garden hose. Since you're running a 16.8 mile garden hose. Why duplicate effort?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
wrote in message

uh, that is what I meant. duh!
On 3/25/2016 8:57 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

But, thanks for agreeing with me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:59:07 AM UTC-7, taxed and spent wrote:

We once resolved a discussion of whose house was at a higher elevation 5 miles away with a carpenter level. We could see the other house. Of coure it didnt' answer the question "How much higher".