running a cable under the threashold?

I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall on the other side. Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it? The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I would really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

Reply to
Toller

I won't address the "under the threshold" question 'cuz even though it doesn't sound like it would be OK, I really don't know. However...

Any decent electrical supply house, like a lighting store with a parts counter, will sell you any length of 10/3 that you need, by the foot. Your borg might also stock it on spindles and sell it by the foot. No need to buy a whole roll.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The NEC doesn't exactly specify that as a location you can't run NM, although it may come under the "workman like manner" section

Reply to
RBM

An electroction waiting to happen at worst, a failed future home inspection at best. Why not splice your 10/3 in an outlet box near the door. You can avoid the full roll by buying a short piece 'by the foot'. Outlets are always handy.

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Just curious Lee, why is it so many folks believe home inspectors have X-ray vision?

Reply to
RBM

How do you figure it is an electrocution waiting to happen? It would have to penetrate the jacket and the insulation on a hot without making contact with the ground, neutral, or other hot. And then someone would have to touch the threashold and be a better ground than the what the threashold is mounted on. I doubt you could do all that if you tried. A short maybe, but an electrocution is all but impossible. Why would it fail a house inspection? I guess that is my question; is it somehow improper. To me, it appears that the threashold is protecting the cable as it crosses the doorway, but it might somehow be forbidden.

Reply to
Toller

I am looking to use up a 25' scrap rather than buying a 50' roll. I expect a roll would be cheaper than the 30' I need by the foot. And while a junction box is legal, it isn't very workmanlike.

Reply to
Toller

Many garages have unfinished interior walls, the cable's routing could/would be obvious?

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Under a threshold may be a wet location. I hose out my garage.

Reply to
Pat

The borg also sells wire by the foot. Cost more per foot than full boxes or rolls, but may be cheaper in this case, if you have no future requirements.

aems ends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I don't know, but if you want more info from google, you may want to spell it threshold.

(Someone tried the tactful technique of spelling it correctly and hoping you'd notice, but that didn't work.)

Reply to
mm

I'd not do it. While it may last 100 years, it may be a problem in two years. Thresholds often get wet and dirty. Doors get replaced. It is not the common "workman like manner" to have a wire. If the next owner decides to replace the door, he may chop or cut into the threshold and cut the wire as it is not expected to be there. It may even be you once senility sets in.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Darn, you are almost a useful as a spell checker, but rather ruder. The spelling doesn't much affect the question, now does it?

Reply to
Toller

That's a good point, but it is about an inch off the floor; and sadly I can't wash mine out. I'd like to, but there is no drain and the driveway slopes in.

Reply to
Toller

Oh, please. I usually try the same technique, making a point to use the word, and spelling it correctly. But someone else did that and it didn't work here.

It affects the answer. As I said, if you want more info than you got here, like from the web or groups.google, you have to spell it right. Well, maybe it would correct you, but I didn't think of that.

This was not a flame, meaant to irritate you. It was a correction, meant to help you. You ought to be able to handle that.

Reply to
mm

Doesn't matter. Google catches the mistake and asks "Did you mean: 'threshold'

Reply to
HeyBub

Couldn't you put up one of those little signs that says: "Underground utilities. Buried cable." on the door jamb?

Reply to
HeyBub

:)

Edwin has hit on my thinking...

If it isn't the only way to route the cable for other reasons than the initial want to save a few pennies, I'd vote for "No" for those reasons.

_IF_ (the proverbial big if which I think has already been ruled out here) it were the only rational way across the doorway, and I were confronted w/ the problem I don't believe I would simply lay the cable under an Al (I presume) threshold but would make a cable channel in the sill plate or subflooring and protect that per Code for nailing into by a metal plate over it (not that I'm recommending doing that or anything... :) )...

--

Reply to
dpb

It's a very unusual place to run a wire, and that means that no one would hesitate to take a Sawzall or crowbar to the door and threshold to remove it. Someone might try to throw in a couple extra screws to hold the threshold down if it loosens over the years.

As someone who performs selective house surgery during remodeling for others, I have encountered far too many "it seemed like a good idea at the time" solutions. Your threshold-as-conduit solution is one of them. Could it work? Sure. Is it a good idea? No.

I realize you're trying to utilize the cable remnant, but saving money doesn't factor into the safety issue. The difference in price doesn't justify the lazy man's solution. BTW, you could always sell the 10/3 you have on Craiglist and buy what you need.

RicodJour

Reasons not to do it...

Some tiler or carpenter in 5 years is going to come along and drive a screw or nail through it because nobody expects a wire to be there.

When the threshold gets loose a future homeowner will drill a hole in the aluminum and shoot a screw there to tighten it, (provided they get to the screwing part after the shock of drilling into it).

If movement causes the hot to contact the aluminum you have an immediate danger.

If movement causes the neutral to contact the aluminum you have a hidden danger in that your whole circuit has lost its proper ground, because potentially a portion of the ground path is now carrying the load or portion thereof.

It doesnt pass the "snicker" test even if the code books dont address it specifically.

Reply to
RickH