Run versus Start Capacitors - How to tell

Page 2 of 2
On May 22, 2:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

and explode! Run caps are often oil-filled (self-healing) types.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

No, lossy is a capacitor term too. A perfect capacitor would have no resistive losses at all. All of the energy you put into it via charging would be delivered back to you on discharge. But real capacitors have resistance as well, it absorbs some of the energy in the AC component of the input, and causes the capacitor to heat up.
    Dave

First, let me say that I am not an engineer, or electrician, or motor repair person, but rather just a jack of all trades that plays with things to figure them out so I cannot get technical for you here, however, in the unlikely event that you still need this info, I have a Craftsman 6 inch grinder that has the same capacitor and same problem. I know that it is functioning as a starting capacitor since I can give the wheel a spin by hand and turn it on and it will run all day long, even after I have cut the capacitor totally out of the system. Sears does sell them thru their parts section for 4.49 each with a 6.99 shipping and handling charge plus any taxes for your area, making the part cost 25% of a new grinder to me and the new ones have a more powerful motor so I am also looking to find one cheaper elsewhere.
Gary
On 21 May 2007 16:05:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

http://www.grainger.com
They specialize in motors and motor parts. You might even have one of them near you.