Run ice maker line in the cold air return in slab?

I need to run an ice maker line around 50 feet from the softener and RO system. I'm on a slab so that presents a problem running the line underneath. It gets -20F about once a year here so running the line in the attic so it won't freeze will be tricky. All the roof beams run across the direction i need to go so I guess I'd have to drill all the beams and keep the tubing as near the "warm" ceiling as possible. Plus the attic is very very low with the 3/12 pitch roof.

On the other hand the cold air return for my furnace makes a darn near perfect line where I need to go. The cold air return is in the slab and it is crude at best! The bottom of the return is just plastic sheet on top of gravel. They somehow made a form on the base gravel and poured the slab on top of it.

Provided I make a nice entry and exit into the return why shouldn't I run 1/2" PEX tubing through it?

thx

Reply to
jluers

on 11/28/2008 8:36 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

There is water in the line only when the softener is discharging. As long as there are no dips in the line to hold water, it should be OK.

Reply to
willshak

As long as there is an airtight seal it should be ok. Anyone know if this would be some sort of building code violation? If you know a reputable home inspector, you might inquire of him/her.

Bob H

Reply to
hrhofmann

You might check the refrigerator's operating manual for the advisability of connecting the ice maker to an R/O. If I remember correctly from years of selling refrigerators, most manufacturers didn't recommend it. Don't remember why. I think it might have had something to do with the lack of water pressure compared to a regular connection.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

The fridge only requires a certain PSI for the ice maker. I "should" be OK but will check.

I've started the run. I will have to open up one wall to get the tubing through a stud that I can't reach otherwise but other that that It's pretty straight forward... not counting replumbing the softener, rebuilding the brine tank, and rewiring some stuff while I'm at it!

thx for the feedback. j

Reply to
jluers