run furnace without blower?

Page 1 of 2
We have a gas forced-air furnace. The blower v-belt broke tonight. Oops. I'll get one as soon as the stores open; but, in the meantime, in case anyone is up: can I run the furnace w/o the blower, like an old gravity furnace? Or, to put it more precisely, how long can I run it that way?
Thanks, G

Dont, if you can get it repaired it should not run without the blower.
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 02:38:08 -0800 (PST), ransley

As usual ransley, you are most likely wrong again. It has a belt drive blower so it is most likely a very old furnace. Probably something like an old Williamson or one of the other Behemoth furnace. You can run those day and night without a belt and not hurt those plate steel heat exchangers. Ive seen them glowing cherry red and still not hurt the heat exchanger one bit. Probably has the old Honeywell limit that you can almost burn with a propane torch and not hurt it either. If it were a modern furnace, forget it. When will you ever get it right, ransley? Bubba

Im "most likely wrong" only a fool like you would give out public info that could be harmfull. No pro I know of would just guess on what he has and say something possibly unsafe is OK. And if I said go ahead, you would pick the opposite side, just for for a stupid fight, are you that lonely bubba, what no friends or family to kick anymore. Althvac is your home, you are a hvac pro, go where your types are and stay there.
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:15:50 -0800 (PST), ransley

Harmful? You're an idiot. It would save his home from bursting pipes and keep him slightly warm. Thats why the furnace has safety devices you bonehead. Im sorry you are feeling so stupid. As long as you keep up with your bonehead advice, I'll be happy to just keep on kicking you. Stick to something you do know. By the way, just what the hell would that be? Bubba

Again did you help the guy, no. And this aint paying you either.
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:20:09 -0800 (PST), ransley

Hmm, it does seem that I let him know that it wouldnt hurt his furnace, his home wouldnt freeze, thus giving him time to figure it out or call in a pro. He figured it out and replaced the belt. Seems a far cry from what you gave him other than a headache. Bubba

Totaly, hack, unsafe advise, that could hurt the guys equipment, you had no idea of his type of unit. A pro doesnt do that.
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:18:57 -0800 (PST), ransley

hehe. You're and idiot ransley. A pro gets the job done. Unlike your advice which leaves the guy out in the cold. Thus his house freezes up and major damage occurs. His old furnace will do just fine without the blower running. You are a cluck ransley. A shell without a brain. Bubba

Jesh , will you two just go away.....

c'mon. You know the two of us are the highlight of your day. You come home from work and the first thing you do is go to this newsgroup and read this particular thread. Otherwise, you would have skimmed over it entirely and never even seen it. Now how pittiful does that make you? Bubba

I've got 4 old Bryant furnaces in my apartments. Last year a tenant ran one of the furnaces for 2 months during heavy heating season with the blower drive belt off. Gravity air flow and the upper limit switch must have saved the day. As you say, the old furnaces seemingly can go indefinitely this way.
The upper limit is one of those surface mount thermo-disk types, basically the same as a water heater thermostat. Since those go through thousands of operational cycles, I guess these upper limit switches can too.
I went over to do a non-related repair, heard the furnace burner on and never heard the blower. The motor mount had loosened, the motor shifted and the belt slipped off the pulley. After 5 minutes I had the problem solved.
I asked the tenant about it and she said "Oh, it's always been that way. The place is just very slow heating up."
I gotta get out of this rental biz....
Doug

Not that it will probably help anything here; but, if it matters, the furnace in question is a Bryant 'Quietline'. It was here when we bought the house in '90.

I'd not do it as it can overheat the heat exchanger even with a high limit switch. OTOH, I'd be tempted to rig a fan somehow to get me through the night.

Him just asking that question, shows he thinks unsafe and should not even touch his old clunker furnace. One night, electric blanket and a hat could have him dreaming its summer out he will be so warm.

Hot water bottles (electric kettle) all round; and snuggle with extra blankets or coats on the bed! Can be fun! :-)
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 05:03:52 -0800 (PST), terry

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 03:20:17 -0800 (PST), ransley

I have an electric blanket and the numbers go from one to nine or ten.
Even 2 is too hot. 1.5 is about all I can stand.
Definitely can live without a furnace for one night in most of the world.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

George wrote:

Heat rises cold air falls back down the cold air return.. If it's in the basement it should be fine. Remove the filter to enhance air flow. The burner is controlled by the heat exchanger temperature. If it's a mobile home forget it. Heat would have to go down then up and hot air don't flow that way.
--
Van Chocstraw