Run away cars

I believe it was a 2008 Prius.
Probably had a recall for floor mat that _might_ interfere with the accelerator pedal. I believe the 'victim' said that didn't happen.
Only other Prius recall I have heard about is the 2010 (new model) with a brake hesitation which I believe was fixed in software. (Far as I know brakes were always available if the pedal was pushed harder.)
Prius has not (so far) been in any of the acceleration recalls.
I also have some major questions about this one.
--
bud--

NBC news had the subtitle also and it was a plain NO.
On 03/10/2010 05:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

How can somebody be too STUPID to shut the switch off.
--
LSFT

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 05:55:18 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

I heard "might flip into reverse" - still stupid.
Racing engine, shift into reverse. Probably throw a rod, and destroy the engine. Might not be a bad thing, compared to slamming a tree.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I would expect to destroy the tranny first. Mythbusters tried that and found out that in at least the cars they tested, it could not be forced into reverse.
Harry K
Stormin Mormon wrote:

While one is understandably hesitant to actually try it, multiple mechanics have told me that modern cars will simply not engage reverse while the car is moving forward past a minimal speed.

I did it accidentally once on an american product. The car jerked and then freewheeled after that. There was no damage to the engine or tranmission. I suspect they have started to build protection into them.
On 3/11/10 4:36 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

Yes, its called drive by wire. My car does not have a throttle cable or shifter cable/linkage both are controlled electronically. The car's computer will not let you down shift into too low of a gear nor will it allow you to grind the starter if the engine is already running.

Just as a matter of interest, what do you drive? And the "protection" was there before drive by wire.
On 3/12/10 6:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

2008 Saturn Vue
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:27:44 -0600, Rick Brandt

That is true.
On 03/10/2010 05:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

How can somebody be too STUPID to shut the switch off.
--
LSFT

(Jack) wrote:

Was I drunk or absent the day you were put in charge?
Steve B wrote:

No reason you couldn't have been both. I often am.
(Jack) wrote:

Was that YOU I was with. I really don't remember.
Steve ;-)
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:20:10 -0800, "Steve B"

Both.
(Jack) wrote:

Buhbye.

Home Owners Repair, got it.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

I have never owned a car that could not be turned off without locking the steering wheel, or that the power brakes would not stop you at least once after turning off the engine. Turning off the engine while moving merely removes the power and the power steering. So the car takes a little more force to steer. Even after exhausting the power brake vacuum reservoir, the brakes still work, just not as strongly.