Run away cars

Page 2 of 10

snipped-for-privacy@nowheremonfrere.com wrote:

Smarter than you, apparently, and obviously smarter than the knothead that drove 30 miles -- THIRTY MILES -- with the throttle wide open. Each time it happened to me, it took much less than a hundred yards to get the vehicle to a full stop.

Did you take an extra dose of dumbass this morning?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 10, 9:20 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Sounds like he opened a full case of it.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
--WebTV-Mail-16521-1663 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
I posted here because of the great number of posters, some of whom might have an opinion. I was right !!
Why people take the time to reply to a post to say that "they personally do not care to reply" is beyond me.
My cars are 2000 and 2003 GM products and the keys are on the steering wheel and when you turn the key off it locks the steering. Maybe if the key is in the dash it does not lock the steering just by turning it off.
The guy in CA said he was afraid to take his hands off the steering wheel (I think).
Sorry to have bothered the group, I will not be back.
--WebTV-Mail-16521-1663 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-16521-1663--
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 10, 9:44 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack) wrote:

Go take a look and tell us which it is. Either it only locks the steering wheel when you remove the key or else it locks it when you turn it to the lock position. All of the cars I've had that I can recall required the key to be removed to lock.

Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 10, 12:36 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It most likely will not lock unless the shifter is in park.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/10/2010 9:44 AM, Jack wrote:

Please turn off the orange HTML stuff, it's almost impossible to read.
Ok, I got up off my can and went 17 stairs to the garage where there are 2 GMs ... well, only one today, the other is presently out. But, I then had to hike back upstairs to get the keys. I always leave the keys in the ignition when the car is in the garage, but for some reason they came upstairs and got put on the table. Anyway, the 2002 Trailblazer column mounted key has 4 positions in this order. 1. Off and key removable 2. Accessory position .. key not removable 3. On 4. Spring return start I started the car 4 then 3 and then put it in drive. I then turned the key to 2 ... engine off, key not removable, but accessories on.
A lot can depend on whether you have a column mounted gear selector or console mounted. The Trailblazer has a console selector. BTW, the gear selector also locks under some conditions, but I didn't "test" that. It actually locks the little button that allows the selector to be moved.
Now, many of the newer cars have a pushbutton to start turn on and start the car. It detects the presence of you electronic key which doesn't have to be touching the car .... obviously, some electronics in this type of switch. Seeing the Toyota problems would make be scared to have one of these pushbutton things. It also makes me wonder how much of the gear selector is done electronically, even though we move that big lever.
Also, I just heard the noon news and the 911 tape from CA. The guy said, "My breaks are burnt and I'm trying to shut it off." The Asheville news person said that the car finally lost power (whatever that means) and the car rolled into the squad car.
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote:

Oh, OK. Then I won't bother to tell you to post in plain text.. BLACK not orange! And you don't need to include that attached file, your sig file already shows up.
Add pictures here
✖
posted here because of the great number of posters, some of whom might<BR>have an opinion. I was right !!<BR><BR>Why people take the time to reply to a post to say that "they personally<BR>do not care to reply" is beyond me.<BR><BR>My cars are 2000 and 2003 GM products and the keys are on the steering<BR>wheel and when you turn the key off it locks the steering. Maybe if the<BR>key is in the dash it does not lock the steering just by turning it off.<BR><BR>The guy in CA said he was afraid to take his hands off the steering<BR>wheel (I think).<BR><BR>Sorry to have bothered the group, I will not be back.<BR><BR> <P> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2 face=Arial>I have a 2001 LeSabre.&nbsp; You can turn the key to the "off " position and the wheel will NOT lock. When you turn it to the "lock" position it will lock even with the key in the lock.&nbsp; Sorry, but it can be turned off safely.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2 face=Arial>The guy in CA was an idiot.&nbsp; He was afraid to shift to neutral and said so.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 10, 4:53 am, snipped-for-privacy@nowheremonfrere.com wrote:

So, with all the coverage of the problem on the news you think that an owner of one of those cars _shouldn't_ have known about it _and_ the solution to how to stop? Turning off the engine does not take a genius, nor does shifting out of gear. Everyone out there who drives knows how to do both.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

But when you are travelling at 90 mph and the operator tell you to shift into neutral, do it. Takes few brain cells for that. That aside, if you have a Toyota you'd be following with interest the problems and have seen the news media, Consumers Reports and others showing how to stop the car.
No, I don't know everything, but in 19 minutes I'd figure out how to stop a car. He is 61 years old and probably has many years behinds the wheel. WTF has he been doing? I've said it here before, good drivers practice in their mind what to do in an emergency and they are equipped to react. Sure, some panic sets in, but the dispatcher told him what to do. It was on the news last night when they played the recording of the call.
Maybe I am superior now that you bring it up.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:53:06 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

I'm sure all your ideas work perfectly in your armchair.
Add pictures here
✖

They do, thank you. I got where I am today by making more right decisions than wrong ones.
Add pictures here
✖
On 03/10/2010 07:53 AM, snipped-for-privacy@nowheremonfrere.com wrote:

--
LSFT

Add pictures here
✖

Interesting, I heard the replay of the 911 call and I remember it differently. I heard the 911 operator ask if he tried shifting into netural and it sounded to me like he avoided the question and responded saying something about having trouble talking on his cell phone. I didn't hear him say no and his avoiding the question sounded suspicious to me. I only heard it once and could have gotten it wrong.
Add pictures here
✖
On 03/10/2010 09:33 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

He was paid by GM to smear Toyota.
--
LSFT

Add pictures here
✖

This guy is just trying to cash in. Nothing wrong with his car.
Add pictures here
✖

Article in the paper this morning said the guy didn't shift into neutral because he was afraid it "might slip into reverse".
Either way, he's a total idiot. How frigging stupid do you have to be to drive for THIRTY F**KING MILES with a wide-open throttle, and not try shutting the ignition off or shifting into neutral? And how is it that after thirty miles of -- as he told the 911 operator -- "standing on the brakes" while the car still continues accelerating, once the cop pulls up next to him and tells him to stand on the brakes and apply the parking brake too, suddenly he's able to get the car stopped quickly?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 10, 12:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

UNBELEIVABLE!! This is a LIFE and DEATH situation we're talking about here.
Who gives a rat's ass about blowing up the engine or tearing out the transmission when the alternative is DYING or KILLING someone???!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
People who place more importance on the condition of their car over their lives and the lives of others, deserve what they get.
If they didn't stop their car because they were afraid of damaging it, kill someone, and live to tell about it, they deserve to go to jail like any other murderer.
Add pictures here
✖

UNBELEIVABLE!! This is a LIFE and DEATH situation we're talking about here.
Who gives a rat's ass about blowing up the engine or tearing out the transmission when the alternative is DYING or KILLING someone???!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
People who place more importance on the condition of their car over their lives and the lives of others, deserve what they get.
If they didn't stop their car because they were afraid of damaging it, kill someone, and live to tell about it, they deserve to go to jail like any other murderer.
========== I didn't believe him then, and I don't believe him now.
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖

I think maybe you give a lot of these people credit for having more brains than they do. Like how about he wasn't thinking that putting it into reverse would blow out the drivetrain. He could think that the car would go instantly to 94mph in reverse and he'd be killed by the sudden g force. LOL
I agree a lot about this story stinks. One of the most interesting being the car was apparently on the recall list, but when he took it to the dealer they said it wasn't and turned him away. Then suddenly this happens. Could be the guy knew it was on the recall list and figured this was a good way to try to make a case or at least be a media star.
Add pictures here
✖