Rug shampoo: Hire or rent?

I've never rented a rug shampoo machine - always had it done by a service who's done good work for me over the years. I'm wondering if anyone's rented, and then thought "Phuque - I really should've just called someone". Cost isn't the major issue here - I'm looking for maximum results. The company I've used before utilizes some sort of carbonated/chemical stuff that leaves virtually no odor, so the substance doesn't enter into this, either.
Any thoughts on the rental units? What to avoid?
I have done both, the cleaner man always does a better job than I can. I suspect it is because their machine is bigger and they have an assortment of cleaning agents on the truck for things that don't come out right away.

There are some good rentals. Rug Doctor is on I used. IMO, if cost is not an issue, get a pro as they have better equipment and do a better job.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:
-> I have done both, the cleaner man always does a better job than I can. I -> suspect it is because their machine is bigger and they have an assortment of -> cleaning agents on the truck for things that don't come out right away. I always thought that it was because their machine was a true "steam cleaner" (shoots steam down into the carpet) while the store-bought models just shot hot water onto the surface, scrubbed it around a little, and then sucked it up.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~