Rug pads

Group:
I'm in a house with hardwood floors. All of my rugs that were previously on carpeted floors clearly need some kind of padding / underlay under them to help them wear well and to make them feel nice underfoot.
Cost isn't the key factor, wear and feel is, but, being honest, the less expensive the better.
Any advice about the type of underlay / padding?
Den wrote:

go under the rugs that don't have non-slip backs. They seem to work pretty well. As I recall about $5 for a pad for a 2X3 foot rug.
Don't get the ones that are like double sided tape.
Bill Gill
Foam will eventualy Bond to a finish, being about impossible to remove without damaging the original finish. Jute is best
We have some Oriental rugs and the place we got them had some rubber or plastic grid material (like a very coarse screen, or fine chicken-wire) that has worked very well.
Den wrote:

there.