Rug Cleaning

I have one of those 8 x 10 (approximately) pieces of thick carpets commonly called rugs. The big ones that hang at the Borg, and other stores. They're thick, are hemmed, but don't have pile. They are smooth.

I need to clean it. I don't want to pay for it professionally because it goes on an outside patio, and kind of clean is clean enough.

I was thinking of laying out a couple of sheets of plywood on an angle and lightly power washing it with the little soap bottle that comes with the power washer. It isn't radically stained, but I'm sure it has a lot of sand in it, and a couple of coffee with cream big blobs.

Has anyone cleaned one of these? What's a good way? Any tips?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If you can hang the rug up, then beat it with a straw broom from the backside. This will knock plenty of sand out of the rug.

I would caution on the power washer and "soap". I have placed a large rug in the driveway and power sprayed it with good results. Then hang it over a couple of sawhorses to dry.

You can try some spray upholstery foam cleaner, brush with a straw broom or nylon brush.

-- Oren

Oren

Another option is to rent the rug machine from the aforementioned Borg for the $25 or so and do the rug and all your other rugs and carpeting at the same time. The blue machine they have at Depot works well, I've rented it a couple times.

Reply to
Pete C.

It's an outside rug and the OP is on the cheap :)

-- Oren

Oren

Hang it up and beat it on both sides. Lay it on a concrete slab and wash it using a laundry soap (1/4 cup in a gallon warm water) with 1/2 cup household ammonia. I suggest using a garden sprayer. Either massage the rug with your hands (for delicate rugs) or use a car-wash brush. Rinse with a garden hose until soap is gone, hang up to drip dry where there is a lot of air movement. Reposition the rug every 6 hours.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

maybe use a wet-dry shopvac to remove water before hanging?

I've found that GlassPlus window cleaner makes a good spot remover.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I was junkin' one day; years ago, and we bought antique "rug beaters". We later sold them and had fun explaining the purpose of the seemingly looking giant fly swatters.

-- Oren

Oren