Rubbing Stones Question

I just got through patching the cracked, chipped junction of a tread/riser of my mom's cement stoop. I used Quikrete mason mix and their adhesive compound, and I did as good a job as I could in this hard-to-maintain (slushy) area. The salesman at HD said not to buy a masonry bit or any kind of drill-based sanding pad but to use a rubbing stone.
It was $11, and before I use it, I want to ask if sanding cement with adhesive in it by hand is something a woman who doesn't work in the construction trade can reasonably do. I don't like to waste money 'cause we don't have money to waste.
Thanks.
You can do almost the same thing with a brick or broken cement block for limited work. I would not buy the rubbing stone for what you contemplate. Stop at any construction site, smile nice, and tell them what you are doing and that you want a broken brick or cement block. I suspect they will be quite generous.
______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

A matter of brute force.
Start as soon as the mix sets. It is quite soft for the first half a day or so.