Rubber Bumper for Shed

Page 1 of 2
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going to damage the wooden door.
Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I thought I could use as a safe bumper.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

A nearby state park has a huge hill that they open for inner-tube sliding when it's snowing. Trees and other hard objects are padded with bales of hay. Works nicely. For your purposes, put a thick rope around the bale so you can drag it out of the way easily. When the hay begins to decompose, spread it somewhere as mulch.

i wouldn't do that. it would hold the moisture against the shed.

That's the reason for the ropes - to move the bales away. Almost anything he attaches to the door is going to trap moisture.

I'm not sure u want to go there. you even said yourself when the hay decomposes. he said it was a wood door. I had a similar situation in new mexico. I had a compost pile near my shed and the over flow started to rot the shed. A good rule of thumb is anything you put on your walls, make sure the rain runs off easily and you definitely wouldn't use anything that can trap moisture. like hay.

barbed wire won't

he could hammer large nails through the door so they point outwards. but the kids would attract moisture. and then there is all that blood.
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:12:24 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Next time you see bike tire marks, take the bikes away for a week. Then a month. Then for good.
On Nov 5, 11:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A swift whack to the behind every time they do it, until they stop doing it.
It's called PARENTING. Try it sometime. Maybe they'll grow up having learned to respect other people's property.
Or, just let them keep it up until one of them takes a header into the door. Guaranteed to stop any future door-ramming escapades.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

And folks wonder why this generation of kids have little respect for property, no discipline, and parents who are total oblivions.
Sheesh!
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

BTW: how do you get 2.5 boys? Somebody do a solomon on one of them? Or is one of them a hermaphrodite? A bit queer? Mother wanted a girl and dresses one them up as one?

I dropped a few characters there - they are 2.5 years old - twin boys. And just learning to get around on the big wheels... they are too young to punish for "riding down the hill." WHile I do appreciate the parenting advice, I was just looking for something to protect the shed until they have better motor skills and can be expected to stop and ride in control.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Build a brick wall in front of the shed?
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Supervision would be in order. If they're not responsible for their actions, then you are.
on 11/5/2007 2:14 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

Unlike the others who do not have kids, or shouldn't have any, I will say that once they get older and leave you, the dents in the door will bring a tear and a remembrance of a better time. My girls drove golf carts into fences and made tracks in my lawn, and now that I look upon the small, insignificant things, I wish that I could go back and relive those memories.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've killed my son at least 100 times, but he keeps coming back. :-)
On Nov 5, 10:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well if it's just a matter of protecting the door, you could reinforce it at the crucial height with, say, a piece of 2X8 going across. But it sounds like you want cushioning also. The traditional solution is old tire tread. But I think those steel belted tires are pretty hard to cut up. Some closed-cell foam might be good, such as one of those roll-up ground pads for campling, the cheep ones are maybe $10, or a couple of those pads they make for gardeners to kneel on.
But this will likely be a short phase in your kids' lives. Here is what I would do: go to one of those package-shipping stores and get a roll of bubble wrap. Staple a couple layers of that across the door. Then when they hit it will go bang, even more fun than before. Be nice to your kids and maybe they won't grow up to be mean grumpy people like the other posters. -- H
Heathcliff wrote:

They'll just grow up to be egocentric, undisciplined riff-raff instead.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:12:24 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

All you need is a stick about 2 or 3 feet long and an inch thick. When the kids drive their bikes into the shed, SPANK THEIR BUTTS. Problem solved ! If i had done this as a kid I would have gotten my butt kicked. Of course if you want to enable this behavior, you could put up a rail using posts and a plank, and cover the surface with half tires bolted to it.
I am wondering how long those bikes will last? Dont the brakes work on them?