Router question

I have an older Craftsman router that i use occasionsly. The case is broken where i tighten it for height. I guess i cant get a new case. The motor is fine,any ideas how to save this Router.
desgnr wrote:

Put the motor in a stand for a pin router and get a replacement for handheld/table use...sometimes "it's time".
The possibility of scoring a clunker of the same variety/model for cheap enough to be a parts machine is so minimal I'd not even bother...

Initially thought about JBWeld, but I think replacement is the better option. If the bit slips while routing you've ruined your work and/or possible injury. Take a look at Bosch or Milwaulkee, stay away from Craftsman, Ryobi, Ridgid.

Throw this together in your spare time...
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/workshop/1274466.html?page=1

Ain'tcha got no duct tape?

I would like to offer advice, but am unsure of the situation. I own one of these now, and have had several. Is the platform that supports the whole router broken? Or the "boss" that you use to rest the cog when using the wrench to tighten the nut?
Steve

If it is very old, it may be worth saving. If about the past 10 years, be happy, now you have an excuse to by a real router that does not adjust itself in the middle of a cut, runs smooth, hold bits with no slip and other great features.
Bosch, Porter Cable, DeWalt, etc. Go to www.patwarner.com and snoop around. This guy is probably the best routerman alive. .

If you are going to be doing much of this, or it has to be close, spring for a good one. I believe you could get a good one for $100. The difference is going to be in the quality of your work. I'm setting up a old small table now and a router, as well as some other equipment. I know I'll be shopping for a good router table soon. As with any tool, if you use one much, you will gravitate towards what gets the job done best and easiest.
Steve

Benchdog, with a lift. Best price used to be www.routerbits.com but I've not compared prices in a while.