Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

Page 2 of 2
On 07/29/2015 01:37 AM, gregz wrote:

Yup, glyphosphate resistant weeds, more proof that organisms improve themselves over time.
Evolutionism 1 Creationism 0
On 7/28/15 11:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

buildings and fences. I want it to work fast because she'll get antsy and want me to use a string trimmer. You can't argue with a woman.
Typically, the effect isn't visible on most plants in 3 days. It's quite visible in a week. The other day I noticed the brown leaves of poison ivy I'd sprayed at her place.
At my place, I don't bother to spray poison ivy. It's easier to snip with hedge shears. If it comes back, I snip again. Glyphosate is good for the kind of plants that would come back quickly and persistently.
I first used glyphosate on poison ivy about 1983, at the farm. It was a patch covering hundreds of square feet. Spraying worked fine. When I sprayed a patch a few years later, I saw no effect after a week. Maybe it wasn't growing when I sprayed.
I've never had trouble attacking poison ivy with a string trimmer. Maybe it happens too fast for the plant to bleed.
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 7:21:18 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

mix 50 / 50 round up with poision ivy killer. that works fast and is 100% effective.
heck i kinda felt bad for the poision ivy.
the plant is actually attractive, if it wasnt for the itch:(

Same here. I use 50 / 50 glyophosphate with brush killer (usually 2,4D). Mix both to the highest concentration listed on the label. It still takes a week before the leaves start to curl and up to a month befor they go brown.
On 7/30/15 9:01 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

weeds could be resistant to either because both had been used extensively.
For poison ivy, I don't see the advantage of mixing. If after a week, I don't see results, I assume it didn't absorb enough. I spray again.
That didn't seem to work with some Spectracide 2,4-D stuff I got for buckhorn plantain. Seeing no results after a week, I'd spray again. There seemed to be fewer after I sprayed, but I didn't know why I never saw any shriveling or dead plants.
After a couple of years, I quit spraying and began cutting roots with a sort of forked bayonet. I had to bend over thousands of times, but it's fun when you get used to it, and it worked.
I haven't seen poison ivy resist repeated spraying.