Roundup For Weeds, Or... ? (what's really safe ?)

Page 6 of 6
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Couldn't be shown that ingestion of small amounts wasn't hazardous... :)
(Sorry, absolutely couldn't resist... :) )
clipped

In my area, it is prohibited in building code. Global warming. Believe it:o) It was the rage about 20 years ago, and after about 20 years it also looks like crap.

We have River Rock Beds exactly as you describe at our house. We have Hostas, Iris, and other stuff in it. Unfortunately, that damn cloth ain't worth a sh*t. Weeds root right through it, and to make matters worse, grass seed got in the beds and grass grew right through the cloth. It sure was a big job scarfing off the rock to clean out the vegetation in the beds. Now that they have been cleaned out, we will use Roundup (carefully and sparingly) to control whatever comes back.

You bought a lousy product. The right stuff works fine for many years. Where did you buy yours?

We had a guy put it in for us last year. I'm not sure where he got it.

My favorite garden store (Agway) has 3 levels of fabric quality available. They're clearly marked as to life expectancy. One suggests permanence you won't be around to see. Find a real garden store that stocks various types.
clipped

We have small areas around our condo where nothing grows, and some of those areas, against the building, are also where downspouts empty. With the deluges we get, anything else would wash away. When hubby and I were janitors, I used leaf blower to keep them clean. It's been about 6 years since the rock was put down and we have nothing growing through the landscape cloth. In a couple of spots, I put pots in the ground, then the rock, so I can take in delicate plants if we have a freeze. Just stick them back in the hole when it warms up. Plastic edging around keeps the rock out of the lawn.
J.A. Michel wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

Fabric works well if, and nly if, you se good stuff, and use a pre emergent weed killer [Casaron (sp?) or similar] under the fabric / before the fabric is installed, with a second Casaron applicatio on op of the fabric before the rock or mulch is spread.
You still need to hand weed, but there's a lot less hand weeding involved.
Robert11 wrote:

Landscape fabric. Install it under the gravel and it will let water through, but help keep weeds from coming up.
Roundup will kill any plant it contacts given sufficient quantity. Most other weed killers are comparable, even the ones that claim to no harm grass. They mostly depend on staying on the right threshold where they kill the weed and don't quite kill the grass.
Pete C. wrote: ...

So will water...

Application rate is not the way herbicides are differentiated as to effectiveness against broadleaf vis a vis grassy plants. They are different chemically and affect the specific types of plants in a totally different manner.
That said, none also will say NO harm to grass and, most specifically, bermuda and similar grasses are more susceptible than most other lawn grass varieties.
dpb wrote:

I wish then the water would hurry up and kill the algae in my pond... :)
Lar
Pete C. wrote:

There are weed killers that specifically (atrazine?) are taken up by roots, and should not be used in the root zone of most beneficial plants. RoundUp can drift, but it is taken up by foliage. Labels for this stuff are important. Folks in Florida think a lot of houseplants are cute outdoors, but really are nasty - wandering jew and asparagus fern are two that are very invasive.
I read recently that someone - in the Carolina's? - caught a piranha in some body of water!! Talk about trashing the environment.

Go to your local supplier who has anyone knowledgeable working there and investigate pre-emergent herbicides. As with the weed and feed varieties, they will kill selective plants because at times growing and emerging plants will take in the poison, whereas later in life their root system and leaves don't act the same. I still don't understand how the weed and feed knows the difference between grass and dandelion, but it's better than kneeling all day and weeding.
Just my opinion from what I understand, and that is darn little. If you live in an area of this country where there is a "feed store", or have a county agent, or a university co-op department, those guys are a lot of help. One size really doesn't fit all, so seek LOCAL information.
Good luck.
Steve
I don't have grass in back or front yard. Just a huge flower garden in both So I don't know how this would work on your lawn. But I don't use any chemicals in my yard.
Take a 1 gallon sprayer add 1 cup of table salt, 2 cups of white vinegar and fill the rest with hot water. Shake real well to melt salt. Spray on your weeds on a dry day. Soak the weeds very well.
It works for me , cheap and non toxic.
It won't last forever . you might have to do it again in a couple of months.
pat
Pat wrote:

Ahhhh....hate to have reality, chemistry and botany intrude upon your fantasies, but....
A. Iffen it ain't "toxic", t'ain't gonna kill the weeds....
B. Salt sure as hell is toxic.....

Robert11 wrote:

No chemical product you use is is "totally" safe. Whatever you use, its an herbiCIDE. Its intended to kill.
If you want to try something involving the least chemcals, use boiling water on the weeds. It take s a while, lots of energy o boil if you have a lot of weeds, but a pint of rapidly boiling water will kill most non woody weeds. Its not "totally" safe, you could get a bad blister / burn fro boiling water.
I like Roundup and Weed B Gone in a good hand spray bottle, mixed to mfg recommendations, for close in work.
In real tight situations near good plants, I'll use a 50 - 50 mixture of the product applied directly to the leaves of the weed with a foam paint brush.
IMHO, YMMV, my $ 0.02 only, no warranties, express or implied.

ive use rock salt in sensative areas