Roundup For Weeds, Or... ? (what's really safe ?)

Page 3 of 6
JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

What do we win if we already know? :)
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

What makes you think inerts are exempt from testing...EPA has the lists of all the inerts used in approved products, they just don't have to tell you what a particular one is in the guise of company secrets, but they still have to go threw the EPA. You would think the way the word inert is used in these boards it is only hidden poisons when most inerts used by bulk are probably clays..talcums..wood shavings and other fillers.

I'll be idiotic and think of it as detergent like.
Lar
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Check "Roundup Ready" genetically-modified crops.
The EPA says "under present and expected conditions of new use, there is no potential for Roundup herbicide to pose a health risk to humans..." and the EPA found only two instances of laboratories falsifying data.
Soybeans have been routinely treated with Roundup since 1996. Corn too.
What's on YOUR dinner table?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

milk. Plenty herb. and pest. have instructions to avoid skin contact, change clothes, etc., because some are absorbed through the skin. That is why contractors put out the cute little signs after they treat a lawn.

Crikey, mate! If you're past a certain generation, all of us are supposed to be dead. Lawn darts, lead paint, pesticides. And yet we all lived and there's nothing wrong with us wrong with us wrong with us wrong with us
(slap!)
Steve
SteveB wrote:

that they tend to be neurotoxic. Also implicated in a certain kind of incurable malignant brain tumor. Try a google search on "glioma epidemiology pesticide".

You "seem to recall", and then you come up with "glioma"? I think you're being too polite and gentle here.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

It's been a long time, and I recall the glioma part because it is what my mother died of. Glioma's are more treatable - can live up to about 5 years in some cases - but not curable. My mom was given 6 to 19 months, and she lived 6 mos. beyond diagnosis. They form in ganglia - very long nerve cells - so just one malignant cell reaches deep into the brain. Life is too complex to rely on studies to be sure that any chemical is or is not safe - we are all exposed to many different kinds. So when the label says something is toxic to fish, birds, or crustaceans, I figure it will find it's way back to me :o)

Good idea.

Show me where humans were fed minute amounts of anything for many years in a controlled study. They've not even done that with water.
This is a pretty good summary of the existing studies (including long term) done with glysophate/roundup:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/water-eau/doc_sup-appui/glyphosate/index_e.html
--
Chris Lewis,

wrote in message

Yes. It's possible that watermelon could be fatal at certain doses. Does this mean that engineered neurotoxins are not much of a problem because watermelon could kill you?

apple seeds contain cyanide, eat enough seeds you die........
but the apple itself counteracts the seeds.
myself i would let the weeds grow in the gravel. weeds mean theres dirt in the gravel:(
another approach if you demand a gravel driveway have it dug out a foot, lay a couple inches of asphalt base roll and cover with gravel and roll again.
a foot of gravel over a asphalt base will mean no dirt in the gravel, and thus no weeds.
my neighbor did this 20 years ago, he moved his gravel driveway still looks pristine

I guess you're right. There should be no research on neurotoxins designed to kill things. Thanks for teaching me this.

"neurotoxin", Round-Up?
Makes no sense, plants don't have nerves.
According to this:
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/herb-growthreg/fatty-alcohol-monuron/glyphosate/pest-tol-pet-glyphosate.html
2. Safety. Monsanto Company has submitted numerous toxicology studies in support of glyphosate. According to Monsanto Company, the acute toxicity and irritation potential of glyphosate is low. There are large margins of safety for subchronic and chronic effects. Glyphosate does not produce reproductive effects and is not a teratogen, mutagen, carcinogen or a neurotoxin. Risk assessment calculations indicate the margin of safety for agricultural workers and the population in general far exceed the EPA required level of 100.
Lot's more information there.
Makes me want to go out and bathe in it.
writes:

I know. I was referring at that point to pesticides. Think "general".

Do I understand you correctly then, that for the purposes of discussing this issue, that we are supposed to think in "general" terms, yet you may delve into minutiae on any issue?
I thought I had it right.
Steve
wrote

Actually, what you just said is unrelated to anything you've seen in this discussion.
wrote

Have you been out in the shed snorting RoundUp again?
I thought so.
Steve

Glysophate isn't a neurotoxin. It's a disrupter of a metabolic process that only exists in _plants_.
Copper is engineered and applied as a toxin for certain things.
But it's also an essential mineral for humans. Try reducing your exposure to 0, and see how well you do.
Absolutely I agree that we're using _way_ too much of the stuff (eg: we don't use lawn chemicals _period_), and that people need to be careful with what/how they use such things.
But not all chemicals are the same, nor is _all_ use 100% unacceptable.
--
Chris Lewis,

I know. But at this point, we're talking about yard chemicals IN GENERAL.