Roundup For Weeds, Or... ? (what's really safe ?)

Page 1 of 6
Hi,
Have a gravel layer over the soil in front yard. Of course, weeds, crabgrass, dandelions, etc, poke their way up thru it, here and there.
But, also have some real nice trees, bushes, and plantings in it also.
What can I use very safely to spray the weeds, etc.
There is Roundup of course, and all sorts of other products similar to it.
Any recommendations on what might be "totally" safe ? Would like to be able to spray pretty close to the "good stuff" also, if possible ?
Thanks, Bob

I can't tell you what's safe to use around which plants. What I can tell you is that no such product is safe if humans come into contact with it or ingest it. There is no valid research on the issue, and probably never will be.

Totaly safe-pull the weeds. Roundup may affect close by plants througjh the roots if I remember their instructions. I just cover close by plants with a cloth or bucket and use roundup.

There's plenty of "valid research", the question is whether they went far enough/covered every aspect.

Roundup is essentially a contact herbicide. It won't travel thru the roots or soil to other plants. So, as long as you don't hit the leaves or stems of desirable plants with roundup itself, it won't hurt them.
Professionals sometimes resort to wearing cotton gloves over rubber barrier gloves, dip the glove in roundup, and manually "swipe" the undesirable plants if desirable plants are too close to safely spray.
Buckets or plastic will work as long as you don't have them on so long the desirable plants don't overheat.
--
Chris Lewis,

wrote in message

Show me where humans were fed minute amounts of pesticides or herbicides in their drinking water for many years, in a controlled study.
Also: Children constantly put their hands or fingers in or near their mouths when they're playing. Show me controlled studies in which children came into contact with yard chemical residues and then put their fingers in or near their mouths.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

OTOH, show epidemiological evidence indicating a problem.
You could say the same thing on any and every product made (including so-called "organics" and/or "natural").
NOTHING can be shown to meet those criteria.

Get serious. Please.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'm as serious as you want...if your statement is to be taken at face value, so is mine.

So, you're saying that if it has not been proven UNsafe, it's OK to eat it and have kids come into contact with it. Is that your final answer?
You may say "We have no intention of eating it", but that may or may not matter. Can you tell me some details about groundwater and the drinking water supply in the OP's town?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No, obviously, but you're claim is to have had to have actual human tests at some low level for some indefinite length of time prior to use of any product. My point is it ain't possible to prove a negative.

You must understand JoeSpareBedroom's mentality. If he says it is so, then it must be true.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Oh, I know and I really should just ignore him -- for some reason the "be scared of your shadow" mentality got me on this one... :(

Isn't it amazing? Talking about our children. We want to protect them from the big bad world so badly that we allow them to stay at home into their thirties (or beyond), demand little of them in comparison to what our parents and society demanded of us, then want to talk about others "harming" them either by real or imaginary means.
Steve

I never said "indefinite". But, never mind that.
You said "No, obviously". It's not so obvious. You also said nothing can meet those criteria, which isn't exactly true. How many of the things we eat were specifically designed to kill?

I guess they were not "designed" unless you believe in intelligent design or god but there is cyanide in Almonds, Cassava, Bamboo Shoots and other plants. Garlic and other herbs are being used in "natural" insecticides. If celery is attacked by insects it will produce an insecticide in its leaves that will kill the insects. Tomato and Potato plants also contain a poison.I am sure there are a number of other poisons produced in the plants and animals that we eat.
The lethal dose of most chemicals is compared to the salt NaCl because it is so deadly. You probably have given some to a child but you could have used it to kill plants.

I guess the research is complete, then.

To take your posts at face value, _nothing_ would be safe. How abouit arsenic? Is it safe? Is it "acceptably safe"? Many, if not most places, have arsenic as a normal part of the ground water. Very low level true but it is there.
There is a matter of practicability. If you demand a total "no effect" test result on everything, then nothing will be used and you will starve to death.
Harry K

You're right. All chemicals are the same, so no research is needed. The fact that some are designed to kill is of no relevance, and it's fine to feed them to children.

And just where did I say that? I pointed out that 1 particular chemical is a poison and it is ingested daily. By extsension damn near everything is the same. Even water will kill you if you drink too much.
Most people live in the real world. By your posts it looks like you live in a 'cocooned' house and never leave it. It does leave the question of just what you eat as there are chemicals (GASP!) in all foods.
Should there be more testing of some things? Probably. Does it need to be on people? No. they use animals. Now you can go on a rant about AR.
Harry K

I don't care about AR in this context, so let's not add any further clutter about it, OK?
Back in the early 1980s, Monsanto made the mistake of allowing spokespersons to say two things to the press, and I believe it was Greenpeace that snagged both articles and stuck them in one of its newsletters. The company first said that animal tests indicated some farm chemical was safe. Two months later, they responded to independent research which indicated that the chemical was NOT safe. Their response: Tests on animals are not an accurate prediction of how a substance effects humans.
Funny, huh? Whatever's convenient.