Roundup Concentrate

I purchased a 16 oz. bottle of Roundup Concentrate and I am wondering if I should dilute it with water. I read the label and can find no mention of mixing with water. Anybody?

Thanks, CJ

Reply to
cj

CJ,

2.5 oz. per gallon of water is listed on the Scotts web-site.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

I buy Rodeo (essentially the same as Roundup) concentrate in 2.5 gallon jugs and usually mix 64 oz. of concentrate with 35 gallons of water. That's a bit less than 2 oz per gallon. Anything between a 1% and a 2% solution is fine.

FWIW, I'm paying a bit less than $50 for the 2.5 gallon jug of concentrate. Best place to get it is an agricultural chemical supply place.

Reply to
dadiOH

You have to pry up the label at one corner to get at the further instructions that are under the label.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If you don't need to add water, was it really "concentrate"?

.

You have to pry up the label at one corner to get at the further instructions that are under the label.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you don't need to dilute it, Is it concentrate?

(Why did the blonde stare at the orange juice can......)

.

Thanks, CJ

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There isn't just one "Roundup Concentrate". At least not in my experience. It comes in a variety of concentrations, from ready to use, up to like

50%, with multiple products in between. That's how it was when I last looked at it many years ago. As someone suggested, the container should have the mixing instructions, perhaps on one of those labels where you have to lift it up. If not, should be on the website.
Reply to
trader4

I once tried to kill the worst infestation of 'johnson's grass' in existance. It took TWO applications to take out everything down to the root bulbs, and I have no explanation for this, but when I bought concentrate; it had little effect UNTIL i mixed it about 10X stronger than suggested on the label. Oddly, the non-concentrate worked even better. And had NO smell on the wilting plants.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I buy the 16oz concentrate each year and mix up two 2gallon sprayers,

8 oz per, and that lasts me all year.
Reply to
SG

Round-Up has been around since the 70's. I know it was available to the general public since the early 80's.

Was developed by Monsanto (?) and went off patent in the early

2000's.

My recollection... the early super concentrate was 92% active. Once the stuff went off patent all sorts of marketing games were played with concentrate's % active, probably to compete pricewise with knockoffs.

I haven't bought any in a while but I think "Super Concentrate" is now

50.2% active. I use about 2.5oz per gallon gives me about a 1% solution for application. Works good enough in my applications but I don't have any resistant weed types.

Johnson Grass can be resistant but is highly location dependent.

Performance is all about the actual % of Glyphosate that is applied and the condtion of the target weed. Depending on the % active of the concentrate you have & the dilution prepared for application...you could be applying less Glyphosate than the pre-mixes. Perhaps the premixes have "spreader - sticker" additives to make them work better and steer the consumer to the pre- mixes. :(

YMMV but IMO Round-Up concentrates ain't what they used to be.

cheers Bob

It is

Reply to
DD_BobK

The story I heard was that it was originally developed as a rust inhibiter. They were using it to spray metal bridges and the surrounding vegitation was dying. Did a better job at that than preventing rust so they re-marketed it.

I have no idea if the story is true or not but it sounds good anyway.

Reply to
Red

On 9/3/2012 8:30 AM, Red wrote: ...

It isn't...there used to be a page at Monsanto history where the development was chronicled but a quick look just now didn't find it.

John Franz was a research chemist at Monsanto and was specifically looking for herbicides...

Reply to
dpb

The original was 41%, and it used to cost almost $50 per quart. It is still available as 41%, but also 50.5%, 25%, 18%, and who knows what all. Glyphosate is off-patent now, so I buy cheaper knockoff brands (I think Enforcer is one of them) and I try to always get 41% because that's what I'm used to.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

From that link it states "(glyphosate) is a phosphonomethyl derivative....".

Probably the root of the story I heard is that since phosphoric acid (Ospho), which is a rust killer, sounds somewhat similar and someone tied the two together.

Reply to
Red

On 9/3/2012 12:58 PM, Red wrote: ...

There are all sorts of versions I've heard of a "variation on a theme" on the story.

From what I recall, a German(?) pharmaceutical company was first to make and patent glyphosate but it showed no promising effects and it and a bunch of other IP was sold and eventually the whole lot was purchased by Monsanto w/ glyphosate amongst everything else. It took John Franz to start to systematically explore the botany and chemistry together to finally make the connection and the rest is, as they say, history.

Reply to
dpb

ondering > if I should dilute it with water. I read the label and can find = no > mention of mixing with water. Anybody? I buy Rodeo (essentially the sa= me as Roundup) concentrate in 2.5 gallon jugs and usually mix 64 oz. of con= centrate with 35 gallons of water. That's a bit less than 2 oz per gallon. = Anything between a 1% and a 2% solution is fine. FWIW, I'm paying a bit les= s than $50 for the 2.5 gallon jug of concentrate. Best place to get it is a= n agricultural chemical supply place. -- dadiOH ___________________________= _ Winters getting colder? Tired of the rat race? Maybe just ready for a cha= nge? Check it out...

Where do you get rodeo 2.5 gallon for less than $50? Everyhwree I look it'= s a hundred + $.

Reply to
jamesgang

wondering > if I should dilute it with water. I read the label and can fin= d no > mention of mixing with water. Anybody? I buy Rodeo (essentially the = same as Roundup) concentrate in 2.5 gallon jugs and usually mix 64 oz. of c= oncentrate with 35 gallons of water. That's a bit less than 2 oz per gallon= . Anything between a 1% and a 2% solution is fine. FWIW, I'm paying a bit l= ess than $50 for the 2.5 gallon jug of concentrate. Best place to get it is= an agricultural chemical supply place. -- dadiOH _________________________= ___ Winters getting colder? Tired of the rat race? Maybe just ready for a c= hange? Check it out...

it's a hundred + $.

I got the generic 42% at Tractor Supply for $20/gal.

Reply to
Red

Then it ain't Dow Rodeo, is it? :)

AFAIK, it's 54% and the one variant authorized for aquatic areas--altho being in SW KS I've never had reason to look and see what, specifically, makes it so other than maybe Dow is the only one who bothered to file the EPA paperwok, maybe...

Reply to
dpb

Ok, I'm confused.

What do all of these percentages mean? This thread has mentioned 18%, 25%,

41%, 42%, 50.5%, etc., etc., etc.

Do the percentages mean e.g. 18% active (i.e. herbicide) vs. inactive ingredients?

If so, why would there be so many and how do you know which one to buy?

Do they really sell a 41% and a 42%? How much difference does 1% make? And if 1% makes a difference, why are there all the gaps between the other percentages?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Already said. "Best place to get it is an agricultural chemical supply place." Go where the farmers go...

Specifically, I get it from a company named "Helena" but I imagine that is a relatively local company to Central Florida.

It used to be $145, BTW,

Reply to
dadiOH