Roundup Concentrate

Page 1 of 2
I purchased a 16 oz. bottle of Roundup Concentrate and I am wondering if I should dilute it with water. I read the label and can find no mention of mixing with water. Anybody?
Thanks, CJ
CJ,
2.5 oz. per gallon of water is listed on the Scotts web-site.
Dave M.
cj wrote:

I buy Rodeo (essentially the same as Roundup) concentrate in 2.5 gallon jugs and usually mix 64 oz. of concentrate with 35 gallons of water. That's a bit less than 2 oz per gallon. Anything between a 1% and a 2% solution is fine.
FWIW, I'm paying a bit less than $50 for the 2.5 gallon jug of concentrate. Best place to get it is an agricultural chemical supply place.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sunday, September 2, 2012 1:56:08 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Where do you get rodeo 2.5 gallon for less than $50? Everyhwree I look it's a hundred + $.

I got the generic 42% at Tractor Supply for $20/gal.
On 9/4/2012 5:28 PM, Red wrote:

Then it ain't Dow Rodeo, is it? :)
AFAIK, it's 54% and the one variant authorized for aquatic areas--altho being in SW KS I've never had reason to look and see what, specifically, makes it so other than maybe Dow is the only one who bothered to file the EPA paperwok, maybe...

Ok, I'm confused.
What do all of these percentages mean? This thread has mentioned 18%, 25%, 41%, 42%, 50.5%, etc., etc., etc.
Do the percentages mean e.g. 18% active (i.e. herbicide) vs. inactive ingredients?
If so, why would there be so many and how do you know which one to buy?
Do they really sell a 41% and a 42%? How much difference does 1% make? And if 1% makes a difference, why are there all the gaps between the other percentages?
On 09/04/2012 04:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes.
Most people have a harder time measuring 1 oz. per gallon than they do measuring 1/4 cup per gallon, and a lot of people will tend to overmix the higher concentrates (that 1 oz per gallon doesn't really look like much, I had better add more!).
Then there's the marketing angle, where the beancounters figure out that they can make more profit by selling a quart of weak solution more often, than they would by selling a quart less often.
Jon

If 1oz is good then 2oz is twice as good. ;>)
On 9/4/2012 7:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Mostly aimed at the big box mart customers shopping only on price "special 1 gallon of xxxx, $10.95" what dilution? what does dilution mean, its a gallon for $10.95...
Since the only difference is how much water has been added you just do a little math and decide what is the best value.

jamesgang wrote:

Already said. "Best place to get it is an agricultural chemical supply place." Go where the farmers go...
Specifically, I get it from a company named "Helena" but I imagine that is a relatively local company to Central Florida.
It used to be $145, BTW,
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You have to pry up the label at one corner to get at the further instructions that are under the label.
If you don't need to add water, was it really "concentrate"?

You have to pry up the label at one corner to get at the further instructions that are under the label.
If you don't need to dilute it, Is it concentrate?
(Why did the blonde stare at the orange juice can......)
I purchased a 16 oz. bottle of Roundup Concentrate and I am wondering if I should dilute it with water. I read the label and can find no mention of mixing with water. Anybody?
Thanks, CJ
On Sep 2, 3:19pm, "Stormin Mormon"

There isn't just one "Roundup Concentrate". At least not in my experience. It comes in a variety of concentrations, from ready to use, up to like 50%, with multiple products in between. That's how it was when I last looked at it many years ago. As someone suggested, the container should have the mixing instructions, perhaps on one of those labels where you have to lift it up. If not, should be on the website.

I once tried to kill the worst infestation of 'johnson's grass' in existance. It took TWO applications to take out everything down to the root bulbs, and I have no explanation for this, but when I bought concentrate; it had little effect UNTIL i mixed it about 10X stronger than suggested on the label. Oddly, the non-concentrate worked even better. And had NO smell on the wilting plants.
Robert Macy wrote:

I buy the 16oz concentrate each year and mix up two 2gallon sprayers, 8 oz per, and that lasts me all year.

Round-Up has been around since the 70's. I know it was available to the general public since the early 80's.
Was developed by Monsanto (?) and went off patent in the early 2000's.
My recollection... the early super concentrate was 92% active. Once the stuff went off patent all sorts of marketing games were played with concentrate's % active, probably to compete pricewise with knockoffs.
I haven't bought any in a while but I think "Super Concentrate" is now 50.2% active. I use about 2.5oz per gallon gives me about a 1% solution for application. Works good enough in my applications but I don't have any resistant weed types.
Johnson Grass can be resistant but is highly location dependent.
http://deltafarmpress.com/glyphosate-resistant-johnsongrass-mid-south
Performance is all about the actual % of Glyphosate that is applied and the condtion of the target weed. Depending on the % active of the concentrate you have & the dilution prepared for application...you could be applying less Glyphosate than the pre-mixes. Perhaps the premixes have "spreader - sticker" additives to make them work better and steer the consumer to the pre- mixes. :(
YMMV but IMO Round-Up concentrates ain't what they used to be.
cheers Bob
It is

The story I heard was that it was originally developed as a rust inhibiter. They were using it to spray metal bridges and the surrounding vegitation was dying. Did a better job at that than preventing rust so they re-marketed it.
I have no idea if the story is true or not but it sounds good anyway.
On 9/3/2012 8:30 AM, Red wrote: ...

It isn't...there used to be a page at Monsanto history where the development was chronicled but a quick look just now didn't find it.
John Franz was a research chemist at Monsanto and was specifically looking for herbicides...
<http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/10/04704103/0470410310.pdf