Roughing-In Toilet

We must replace a 70-year-old toilet. In order to choose a toilet we are told that we need to know the rough-in. What is this? On plumbing supply web sites, such as kohler.com and americanstandard.com, there is mention of 12-inch rough-in. How do we determine our rough-in? And can we buy a toilet without knowing that? Thank you. -Jeff Linder ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)
Jeff Linder wrote:

Rough-in dimension is the distance from the finished wall surface to the center line of the waste outlet (pipe). You can easily determine this by measuring from the wall (not the baseboard) to the 2 bolts holding the bowl to the floor. Note: very old bowls may have 4 bolts; disregard the 2 furthest from the wall.
A 70 year old toilet could be 12" , or 10", or even 14".
10" and 14" RI toilets are still available (add roughly $100).
Once the old bowl is removed a very careful inspection of the flange in the floor needs to be made. Often a 70 yr old one is cracked or poorly connected to the closet bend.
Jim
Thanks. This was extremely helpful. -Jeff

Just measured and the distance from the tiled wall (no baseboard here) to the center of the first bolt is 13 inches. I haven't seen a toilet with a rough-in like that on any of the web sites. So, do we go for a 12-inch rough or 14-inch? Thanks. -Jeff

Jeff Linder wrote:

I would get a 12". For the $100 savings, you can have a fancy/schmancy filler piece made for behind the tank lid. It's enough to just glue the filler to the wall.
Jim
And get an American Standard Cadet so you can keep it another 70 years. Or if you have very special needs, they have one you can flush a couple dozen golf balls down for about 250 dollars at Home Despot.

Jeff Linder wrote:

the rough in is the measurement from the back wall of the toilet to the center of the hole in the floor( probably a 4 inch hole, pipe for drain) it gonna be where the bolts go down to attache the toilet bowl to the floor...i dont have it but if you do a search for american standard toilets and find the american standard web site something like usamerican standard or so.. look up toilets and then install instructions.. they are pretty good at illustrating this...