roughing in a gas water heater closet

What do the interior diminsions need to be for a 40 or 50 gallon gas water heater? I think the door needs to be 24". What about venting and sizing of the gas line and water lines. Got any good links, thanks!
dino wrote:

Check out this link based on the UPC: http://www.codecheck.com/pg19_20mechanical.html#waterheater
BUT./..you will want to call your local bldg dep't for specifics in your city.
Chimney vented? Any other appliances in the chimney?
Jim

As long as you maintain the needed clearances from the heater manufacture your ok. You will need a vent/exhaust. You will need fresh air at the top and at the bottom. The door needs to be sealed. These are sized to the size of the heater. Lastly you need enough clearance to work on it when it is necessary. Floor will need to be non-combustible. Check it out with a licensed plumber to be sure
Problem is that I have yet to buy a water heater so I don't know what the clearances are. I've been looking on line for some info from the manufactures but they don't seem to keep them online.