Rough Opening For Sliding Patio Door

The finished opening right now with the threshold is 69 1/2 Wide and 77 1/2 High. I would like toinstall a sliding patio door here between my three season porch and the main house to prevent heat loss. I believe that I need a rough opening of 72 x 80. Any recommendations?
Chuck
hfother307 wrote:

not enough info here to answer. the first question is what exactly is the rough opening when you remove any finish materials. then, is it a bearing wall, and is there a header? maybe there is a filler piece under the header. if it's not structural, you might be able to remove the trimmer studs. lots of possibilities but we need more info.
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:26:56 -0600, "hfother307"

Take a jack stud out on one side.....
-- Oren

Custom made door. Get on the phone with a few window companies.
"hfother307" wrote in message

Chuck, Not to sound offensive, because you really made my day! I had to clean the coffee off the monitor!
Now if the opening is too small for what you _want_ to put in, obviously you have to make the opening bigger.

Open up the trim or drywall around the opening, and see what the real rough opening is. If just drywall, you may gain an inch, if trimmed out you might barely squeeze buy. Losing the threshold will gain at least half an inch. The subfloor to header dimension is what you need for the vertical, and the clear space between the cripple studs is the width. There are ways to cheat the width.
aem sends...