Rough in wiring inspection - Calgary, AB

I'm in Calgary, AB, Canada and have a wiring question...

> > I'm just about ready for my first electrical inspection and one of the items > I've noticed is that "all splices should be as complete as possible". This > means all boxes grounded and splices inside boxes should be twisted and > MARRed (or soldered, etc.) with the box left open for inspection. Basically > everything done except for going into the breaker panel or connecting the > actual outlets/switches/fixtures. > > I know that I'm not supposed to connect the outlets/switches/fixtures to the > wiring at this point BUT since the inside of the fluorescent fixture is > considered a box and the fixture has no screw terminals (just the wires from > the ballast) should I have these spliced done before the inspection? I've > got the same issue with my POT lights.

Argh... just spoke to the inspector and I'm more confused than before.

He made it sound like they want as much done as possible as long as they can see the splices. Some of the items I didn't realize I should do before the rough in inspection are... - Hook up to the panel and leave the breakers off (they might turn them on during roughin inspection if it seems safe) - Complete all splices (in the fluorescent fixtures, pot lights, etc...)

...but, they want to be able to see the splices. I assume that they want to see how the wire was stripped and look for nicks and ensure that the splices are tight. What about the wire nuts I've put on all the splices? Should they come off before the inspector shows up or will he take them off if necessary?

Since they want it as close to done as possible, will installing the wiring onto the outlets and switches be an issue?

Doing the actual work wasn't difficult... I just don't know where they want the progress for the rough in inspection. Can anyone clarify what to expect???

Reply to
Noozer

Greetings,

If you have any doubt then you should go ahead and do the work. If you do too much the worst that will probably happen to you is that you will have to undo it. Explain to the inspector that you called on such and such a date and spoke with such and such a person and asked them exactly what to do and they didn't tell you not to do it. If you don't do enough you might waste the inspector's time and require them to needlessly make an extra trip back to re-inspect. This will result in delays to your project.

Hope this helps,

William

PS: I can already hear people responding not to go an inch ahead of where you are suppose to be without inspection because it is "dangerous." As long as there is no power running through the lines you are not endangering anyone even if the work is atrocious and all wrong (no matter what anyone tells you).

Reply to
William Deans

I've decided to do all that I can do without covering up the wiring.

I'm not sure what he'll say about the wire nuts on the splices or having the switches and outlets on the wire. I always use the side screw terminals and not the push in connectors so he can still see the wiring if he likes. Same with the wire nuts - they're easy to remove if need be.

The breakers will be off and marked, so there is no danger.

Thx!

Reply to
Noozer